Fluval Evo 13.5 Stocking

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new to reefing as a whole but have done months of research leading up to this point where I buy my first tank!

I got a great deal on facebook marketplace and my specs are:
Fluval evo 13.5 tank
AI Prime 16hd
Upgraded Return Pump
50W heater
Aqamai KPS powerhead
ATO system
Media basket

My dream stocking list is:
2 mochavinci clownfish
sofites and LPS
POSSIBLY shrimp/goby pair
skunk cleaner shrimp
and CUC

I know there is a lot of disagreement as to whether or not a clown pair will be ok in a 13.5 gallon tank. I am planning on having the tank for 5 years before I can upgrade so I am wondering if it is possible to keep 2 clowns that long in a tank that small. Or if it would be better to do 1 clown and another fish like a basslet.

Please be kind as this is my first time posting and I look forward to hearing any tips and feedback!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an Evo for a year before upgrading. Your stocking list is spot on and actually pretty standard for this tank. I kept the exact same in mine. Ditch the powerhead, the upgraded return pump will be more than enough flow. Don't get sucked into all the 3d printed nonsense "upgrades" for the Evo. You'll spend more rhan the tank is worth and I've tried pretty much all of them. All you need is chamber 1 (intank media basket with carbon, biomedia, and floss), chamber 2 heater, chamber 3 return and ato. Despite what people tell you, do not plug the hole in chamber 2. Yes it does improve filtration, but when your chamber 1 floss becomes full, it will cause a clog and chamber 3 will empty. Welcome to salt, and happy reefing!

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you aren't planning on keeping sps, you could ditch the prime too and grab an A80 tuna blue for $100 less. It's a great light for a tank this size and will give you 50-150 par.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had an Evo for a year before upgrading. Your stocking list is spot on and actually pretty standard for this tank. I kept the exact same in mine. Ditch the powerhead, the upgraded return pump will be more than enough flow. Don't get sucked into all the 3d printed nonsense "upgrades" for the Evo. You'll spend more rhan the tank is worth and I've tried pretty much all of them. All you need is chamber 1 (intank media basket with carbon, biomedia, and floss), chamber 2 heater, chamber 3 return and ato. Despite what people tell you, do not plug the hole in chamber 2. Yes it does improve filtration, but when your chamber 1 floss becomes full, it will cause a clog and chamber 3 will empty. Welcome to salt, and happy reefing!
Ok thank you! i’m just worried that the clowns will outgrow the tank after a year or so. Also is too much flow a bad thing? like what if i positioned my powerhead on the opposite side of the tank? or would it be beneficial to just sell it so i have more money for corals lol

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you! i’m just worried that the clowns will outgrow the tank after a year or so. Also is too much flow a bad thing? like what if i positioned my powerhead on the opposite side of the tank? or would it be beneficial to just sell it so i have more money for corals lol
If you already have it, go for it. Just aim for around 200-300gph total flow in the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back