Fluval Evo 5 Pump upgrade

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for a pump upgrade on the fluval evo 5 gallon tank?

The sump measures at a tiny 2.1inches X 1.9inches.
Yikes!

I read people recco the Newa MN606 (84-159 GPH) - but that's too big for my sump...
Really trying to find the smallest pump that is above 100GPH

Thanks!

deron_d

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Newa MN606 will in fact fit. You just need to remove the back and front cover, which is easy to do and doesn’t require tools. They just snap off. I have that pump running in my Evo V. It’s out of stock at the link you shared though. I do recommend the setup if you can find it. I have that pump with a VCA RFG and the flow seems pretty nice to me. Haven’t tried corals yet, but was hoping this will work without a wave maker. I have been researching those too though, just in case. Other pump recommendations I have seen are by Sicce. Be careful though, a lot of those recommendations are for the 13.5 gallon Evo.

883FFFB9-D822-4FA4-8101-1BB632F11F46.jpeg

jrmrleb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations for a pump upgrade on the fluval evo 5 gallon tank?

The sump measures at a tiny 2.1inches X 1.9inches.
Yikes!

I read people recco the Newa MN606 (84-159 GPH) - but that's too big for my sump...
Really trying to find the smallest pump that is above 100GPH

Thanks!
Hello, I just purchased the Fluval 5 gallon and am upgrading the pump as well. I’m trying this lil pump by Sicce. They say on the reviews that it’s super tiny. I haven’t gotten it all in together yet. I also bought the Intank media basket to upgrade the media. May end up also upgrading light as well.. just not sure which one yet.
many way I hope this helps

Attachments

• BA945A38-4AFC-409C-80A7-7652E621B6F5.png
    BA945A38-4AFC-409C-80A7-7652E621B6F5.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 136
  • F7FB4901-046B-46D5-A813-0A6AC4A645E7.png
    F7FB4901-046B-46D5-A813-0A6AC4A645E7.png
    179.3 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just purchased the Fluval 5 gallon and am upgrading the pump as well. I’m trying this lil pump by Sicce. They say on the reviews that it’s super tiny. I haven’t gotten it all in together yet. I also bought the Intank media basket to upgrade the media. May end up also upgrading light as well.. just not sure which one yet.
many way I hope this helps
I went with this pump as well...But it is a pain in the butt to fit in the chamber...I had to remove the plastic cover & cut off some excess plastic...Make sure you have some pliers on hand!

Any idea what light you'll get for it?
I measured the par on the light included & it ranged from 75-150...so it can really only support low maintenance corals

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience. . . good luck. . .

There were a few pumps that fit, the Newa mentioned above and the Cobalt 606 (basically the same pump), but both are discontinued as far as I know.

Most pumps that will fit are on par with the stock pump.

I have a small wave maker for circulation and just point the actual return pump at the surface for agitation.

Will have better luck if you are willing to change up the media chamber and put the pump in there. . . but they you have to run new tubing under the baffle or modify the baffle. If you modify the baffle though. . . might as well just take it out and fit whatever pump you want.

Last edited:

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with this pump as well...But it is a pain in the butt to fit in the chamber...I had to remove the plastic cover & cut off some excess plastic...Make sure you have some pliers on hand!

Any idea what light you'll get for it?
I measured the par on the light included & it ranged from 75-150...so it can really only support low maintenance corals
Not to bring back an old post, where did you cut the plastic to make it fit? I just got this pump and took the cover off but its still a little tight for sure.

OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to bring back an old post, where did you cut the plastic to make it fit? I just got this pump and took the cover off but its still a little tight for sure.
Hi there.

If you can....I would return that pump instead of cutting it.
But if you're stuck with it....I think I shaved off the edges a bit. & I had to feed it through the larger part of the sump to sqeeze it into the smaller area....not fun to do.

Tbh I replaced that pump with the "Newa Mini Submersible Water Pump - MN606"....it's a perfect fit after removing the face plate.

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

If you can....I would return that pump instead of cutting it.
But if you're stuck with it....I think I shaved off the edges a bit. & I had to feed it through the larger part of the sump to sqeeze it into the smaller area....not fun to do.

Tbh I replaced that pump with the "Newa Mini Submersible Water Pump - MN606"....it's a perfect fit after removing the face plate.
I couldn’t find that one in stock anywhere unfortunately:( but I will try to figure this guy out I guess

edit: doesn’t matter, the one I got looked like it already went through a blender. Not sure how people can return stuff like this and have it resold. I’ll just use stock for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Apayson

Apayson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t find that one in stock anywhere unfortunately:( but I will try to figure this guy out I guess

edit: doesn’t matter, the one I got looked like it already went through a blender. Not sure how people can return stuff like this and have it resold. I’ll just use stock for now.
Now that I think back.
I had clipped off the excess plastic on the suction cup area & removed that tube popping out of that extra attachment thing - not sure what it's called but I circled the excess plastic in red in the screenshot below.

It's such a hassle to squeeze into that sump though. That's the hardest part.
I think I had attached the tubes to the pump & fed it through the larger part of the sump...by feeding the plug through that way as well.
It was not worth my effort in retrospect.

There are a few of those NEWA pumps on ebay & BRS restocks every now & then....I eventually got it from them if you sign up for a notification on their supply

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 8.58.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 8.58.27 AM.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 96

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I think back.
I had clipped off the excess plastic on the suction cup area & removed that tube popping out of that extra attachment thing - not sure what it's called but I circled the excess plastic in red in the screenshot below.

It's such a hassle to squeeze into that sump though. That's the hardest part.
I think I had attached the tubes to the pump & fed it through the larger part of the sump...by feeding the plug through that way as well.
It was not worth my effort in retrospect.

There are a few of those NEWA pumps on ebay & BRS restocks every now & then....I eventually got it from them if you sign up for a notification on their supply
Haha if I posted a picture of what I received you’d be blown away. I’m thinking someone else tried to fit the little guy somewhere small too. I’ll check BRS lol it’s not worth it. I wish stock pump was a bit stronger.

mrinaudo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried the new aqua illumination axis 20 in this tank yet. I was thinking about trying it but not sure if it will fit and I wouldn't modify a pump that cost $100.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 49.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back