Fluval Flex 32g Reef - Startup and Hacks

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My journey with this tank has been equal parts fun and challenging. It has some great features, but frustrating ones too. So let me share my journey and see where this take us.

EQUIPMENT: I got all the options; Fluval PS1 Protein Skimmer, second Fluval LED Bluetooth light, and Fluval CP3 Power Head. I changed the circulation pump to the Sicce Syncra 1.5 for some better flow. I adjusted the light's "auto" mode to keep the whites at about 25% and longer sunrise / sunset. Also changed one carbon filter out for a ChemiPure bag.

STARTUP: Got it going with 38lbs of live rock, aragonite sand, and Seapora water. I've been VERY lucky with my startup. It cycled fast, helped to the next step with some hermits and a snail at first then a pair of clowns. First algae bloom was quickly handled by adding a scopus tang, and only adjustment was to bring pH and alkalinity up using AquaVitro 8.4. Surprisingly a few mushroom corals hitch hiked on my live rock and bloomed quickly. Nice indicator on water quality!

CURRENT STATUS: Five weeks in and the dual clowns and solo tang now keep company with some zoas, a green goddess, a red plate, a kenyan tree, a GSP mat trying to grow across the back, an anthelia by the cave, and the start of a euphyllia garden. All very small frags, but they are open and happy with water parameters holding. Like I said, LUCKY! Pressing the pause button on adding any more until I am sure everyone is happy. Most coral are still on their plugs for some fine adjustment moving before making a permanent home.

CHALLENGES:
HEAT - The has been the single biggest challenge that has now been vanquished. With all those motors and double lights and a lid holding in all the heat it was a struggle to keep it below 80. Fluval design engineers missed this by a mile. I tried many different things, including removing the back flap and feeding door and putting ice packs in the back when it was hitting 80. It was driving me CRAZY! I had to watch it all day. So this led me to my first hack. Instead of buying a $700 chiller I built my own cooling system. I got 2x 80mm variable speed DC fans on Amazon for $20 (AC Infinity meant to cool down your PlayStation). Using a door hole saw drill bit I carefully cut two holes in the removeable back flap. Then I used the foam packaging the fans came in to cut some seals for the base of where the fan would sit fixed with some hot glue to provide a seal so they only pulled air out of the aquarium.

How did it work? I ran them at medium speed (almost completely silent) for half a day and it worked....too well! I was now at the point where the heater needed to come on. Ugg! SOLUTION? I now run everything on a schedule. Using a Geeni smart power bar I setup a schedule on my phone. Protein Skimmer runs from 10pm through 8am and the Power Head the opposite. This reduces the heat being generated, plus the skimmer is noisy and the tank is in the main living area, so this was to keep other house residents happy. With the ChemiPure I don't need the skimmer on 24/7, and the power head being on break from 10pm to 8am gave the fish a more relaxing sleep. Next I set the fans to come on from 11am through 8pm and are set to the low speed. I also put the heater on an Inkbird sensor so I can check the temp no matter where I am, get a temp trend chart, and have the added safety of an emergency off if the heater fails on (best $50 spent). All of this has worked like a charm - tank is always between 76 and 78.

OTHER challenges? Micro bubbles from the PS1 Skimmer. It took about 3 weeks for the skimmer to break in and not dump microbubbles everywhere. I wedged a microfibre cloth against the side seam of the skimmer where the bubbles were getting out and that reduced it by half. Only breaking in fixed the issue. I once cleaned the cup really well and it started all over again, so I now keep the bottom of the cup with a nice layer of slim to keep the big bubbles going.

So that was been the start up. I'm thinking I should patent my cooling and automation system and sell it to Fluval!

Here are some pic, I will work on getting better ones as the tank starts to mature.

DSC_0987.JPG DSC_0986~3.JPG DSC02458~2.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I share the same tank as you and have had similar learning frustrations! haha

First question I have is did you mention you put a Scorpus Tang in your tank? From my understanding that fish needs around 120gallons minimum, so you may want to think about possible re-homing on that one :confused:

As for the PS1 skimmer I was looking into a Icecap K1 Nano as people seem to be having a really difficult time keeping the micro bubbles under control . . but it is nice to see yours finally broke in!

As for the heat issue, the only other think I would add is possibly remove the smaller snap-on back portion of the hood to let some heat escape as well!

Excited to follow your build!

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I share the same tank as you and have had similar learning frustrations! haha

First question I have is did you mention you put a Scorpus Tang in your tank? From my understanding that fish needs around 120gallons minimum, so you may want to think about possible re-homing on that one :confused:

As for the PS1 skimmer I was looking into a Icecap K1 Nano as people seem to be having a really difficult time keeping the micro bubbles under control . . but it is nice to see yours finally broke in!

As for the heat issue, the only other think I would add is possibly remove the smaller snap-on back portion of the hood to let some heat escape as well!

Excited to follow your build!
Thank you. I'm not alone! Yes, the scopus is a juvenile and the plan is to only keep him to help the tank settle and once he gets some size it will be time to find him a new home. He's a tough worker, always cleaning, but this is not his "forever home". Already arranged with the LFS. As for the heat, it is the back portion that I drilled the holes and mounted the fans on. Works like a charm!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'm not alone! Yes, the scopus is a juvenile and the plan is to only keep him to help the tank settle and once he gets some size it will be time to find him a new home. He's a tough worker, always cleaning, but this is not his "forever home". Already arranged with the LFS. As for the heat, it is the back portion that I drilled the holes and mounted the fans on. Works like a charm!
How is evap with the fans compared to the sealed hood? A large difference or still easily manageable?

Mike33515

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had our ups and downs with the Fluval 32 as well. What I did to adjust the heat was adjust the led settings that helped and I have the small pop out open for my DIY protein skimmer which helped too.

86712D85-3608-4097-9709-499A2B6CBAB5.jpeg

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had our ups and downs with the Fluval 32 as well. What I did to adjust the heat was adjust the led settings that helped and I have the small pop out open for my DIY protein skimmer which helped too.

Can you post a screenshot of your light settings?

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my settings for the bar at the front of the tank. The second one at the back of the tank is almost the same, but purple is 88% and white is 15%

Screenshot_20200923-092705.png

OP
OP
ReefingCanuk

ReefingCanuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing pics. Does your filter get noisy? My 5 gallon is quite noisy but I don't know what to do with it.
Not at all. I did change the standard Fluval pump to a Sicce Syncra and it had a small rattle noise for the first 10 days or so, but since it has broken in it has been quiet. My noisiest piece is the protein skimmer, so now I have it on a timer and only run it at night.

marcwjj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I like the DC fan idea! I'm using inkbird with a USB fan which also works okay, but not as nice as the DC fan setup.

Does this evaporate the water quick? I need to top off almost every 2 days.

gjj1056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My journey with this tank has been equal parts fun and challenging. It has some great features, but frustrating ones too. So let me share my journey and see where this take us.

EQUIPMENT: I got all the options; Fluval PS1 Protein Skimmer, second Fluval LED Bluetooth light, and Fluval CP3 Power Head. I changed the circulation pump to the Sicce Syncra 1.5 for some better flow. I adjusted the light's "auto" mode to keep the whites at about 25% and longer sunrise / sunset. Also changed one carbon filter out for a ChemiPure bag.

STARTUP: Got it going with 38lbs of live rock, aragonite sand, and Seapora water. I've been VERY lucky with my startup. It cycled fast, helped to the next step with some hermits and a snail at first then a pair of clowns. First algae bloom was quickly handled by adding a scopus tang, and only adjustment was to bring pH and alkalinity up using AquaVitro 8.4. Surprisingly a few mushroom corals hitch hiked on my live rock and bloomed quickly. Nice indicator on water quality!

CURRENT STATUS: Five weeks in and the dual clowns and solo tang now keep company with some zoas, a green goddess, a red plate, a kenyan tree, a GSP mat trying to grow across the back, an anthelia by the cave, and the start of a euphyllia garden. All very small frags, but they are open and happy with water parameters holding. Like I said, LUCKY! Pressing the pause button on adding any more until I am sure everyone is happy. Most coral are still on their plugs for some fine adjustment moving before making a permanent home.

CHALLENGES:
HEAT - The has been the single biggest challenge that has now been vanquished. With all those motors and double lights and a lid holding in all the heat it was a struggle to keep it below 80. Fluval design engineers missed this by a mile. I tried many different things, including removing the back flap and feeding door and putting ice packs in the back when it was hitting 80. It was driving me CRAZY! I had to watch it all day. So this led me to my first hack. Instead of buying a $700 chiller I built my own cooling system. I got 2x 80mm variable speed DC fans on Amazon for $20 (AC Infinity meant to cool down your PlayStation). Using a door hole saw drill bit I carefully cut two holes in the removeable back flap. Then I used the foam packaging the fans came in to cut some seals for the base of where the fan would sit fixed with some hot glue to provide a seal so they only pulled air out of the aquarium.

How did it work? I ran them at medium speed (almost completely silent) for half a day and it worked....too well! I was now at the point where the heater needed to come on. Ugg! SOLUTION? I now run everything on a schedule. Using a Geeni smart power bar I setup a schedule on my phone. Protein Skimmer runs from 10pm through 8am and the Power Head the opposite. This reduces the heat being generated, plus the skimmer is noisy and the tank is in the main living area, so this was to keep other house residents happy. With the ChemiPure I don't need the skimmer on 24/7, and the power head being on break from 10pm to 8am gave the fish a more relaxing sleep. Next I set the fans to come on from 11am through 8pm and are set to the low speed. I also put the heater on an Inkbird sensor so I can check the temp no matter where I am, get a temp trend chart, and have the added safety of an emergency off if the heater fails on (best $50 spent). All of this has worked like a charm - tank is always between 76 and 78.

OTHER challenges? Micro bubbles from the PS1 Skimmer. It took about 3 weeks for the skimmer to break in and not dump microbubbles everywhere. I wedged a microfibre cloth against the side seam of the skimmer where the bubbles were getting out and that reduced it by half. Only breaking in fixed the issue. I once cleaned the cup really well and it started all over again, so I now keep the bottom of the cup with a nice layer of slim to keep the big bubbles going.

So that was been the start up. I'm thinking I should patent my cooling and automation system and sell it to Fluval!

Here are some pic, I will work on getting better ones as the tank starts to mature.

DSC_0987.JPG DSC_0986~3.JPG DSC02458~2.JPG
Great project you have there! I started my 32.5G last January 29th and I didn't see this post yet. We have about the same setup:

I installed the AC Infinity fans (got it $12 from Amazon) and drilled some holes for it on both sides of the lid, not on the filter cover like you did. First few days of having it run 24/7 consumed about a gallon a day of my ATO reservoir, so I used a smart plug and now run it only about 20 minutes every 2 hours. My issue wasn't heat though, I was trying to raise my PH.

I am looking forward to have a second set of Fluval and finally found a member on another group selling it for way less, turned out it was a scam and yeah, he took my $70. ticked about it and didn't want to spend on a brandnew set yet.

About the PS1, do you still have it? How is it working for you? I'm having trouble dialing it in lately. The top of the cup used to be protruding out of my lid and I was able to pull a good amount of gunk in a few days time, but lately, the bubbles are tiny and don't seem to thicken at all. So, I lowered my cup so that the funnel of the cup would be closer to the bubbles, it takes about more than 2 weeks to fill the cup now, it's dark but still a little on the wet side. I have my air intake opened at its fullest. I actually don't know if my skimmer is still working as it should at all.

Also I got a 40ppm of No3 the past few weeks, so that's why I was looking deeper into the PS1. My initial plan was to buy the Tunze 9001 DC instead but it is almost impossible to comeby since January.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back