Fluval Flex Fresh to Salt Tank Conversion

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to convert my Fluval Flex 32 gallon white freshwater only tank over to a salt system. Besides changing the light over to the marine 3.0 is there anything different between the two that would inhibit such a change. Far as I can tell the systems are the same otherwise.

Tyia....New to the forums and glad to be here to.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that set-up, but, you might want to head on over to here...

Meet & Greet Forum

And introduce yourself there!
Let me be the first to welcome you to Reef2Reef!

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a fish only system it should be easy to switch to different spectrum (more blue) lights. Probably add one more powerhead such as a koralia to get better flow.
Lighting will need more though if you go for reef tank.
Not sure what to do about the hood, probably would remove it and replace with DIY net screen

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference is the light which you can replace with the marine version if you want to grow coral. If you are not interested in coral, then the freshwater light will work fine.

I have the flex marine version and also removed the foam blocks for intank media baskets, and upgraded the return pump to the sicce syncra 1.5.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good little tank. I've upgraded the light to an AquaKnight A029, put a Fluval PS2 skimmer in the back, and have a Jebao SLW-5 wavemaker to keep the flow rate up. Keeping SPS, LPS, Zoas, and a Rainbow BBA. Been running for about 3 months. Please forgive the dirty glass lol
FT.jpg

OP
OP
RoGReeferRV

RoGReeferRV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference is the light which you can replace with the marine version if you want to grow coral. If you are not interested in coral, then the freshwater light will work fine.

I have the flex marine version and als9 removed the foam blocks for intank media baskets, and upgraded the return pump to the sicce syncra 1.5.

Thanks,yeah I figured as much. Just never hurts for another opinion.I'm going with the marine version light as well with the media baskets and the syncra 1.5 also.

I'll post a build thread on it when I receive all of the new things to change this tank over this week. Been a long while since my last salt system,and that was fish only so definitely looking forward to the reefing challenge(s)!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back