FLUVAL FX4

Rip2131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question. I'm still playing with the canister idea. I have the 307 but ...
I really want to hide it under my stand which has little height for anything.
How much room (height wise) do you need to disconnect the hoses from the top of the FX4 for maintenance?
I'm considering grabbing one of these.

Thanks!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump

Probably not many canister users here?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 407 running on one of my systems, but I'm not sure about the height of the FX4. Let's see if we can get some help...

@sfin52 @Erin O

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question. I'm still playing with the canister idea. I have the 307 but ...
How much room (height wise) do you need to disconnect the hoses from the top of the FX4 for maintenance?

Thanks!
I have a 407 running on one of my systems, but I'm not sure about the height of the FX4. Let's see if we can get some help...

@sfin52 @Erin O
I just measured my stand. From the bottom, where the canister sits, to the top of the stand (where the tank sits; there's a little lip for the door to rest against) its about 25 inches. I'll get some pics for you once my "helper" is done with lunch :)

Disclaimer: I don't have the FX4. I have a SunSun 40b and a Fluval 407

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my "helper" got busy with other things, so I haven't been able to get pics with a tape measure involved, but here are some without, just to give you an idea. And I was wrong about the Fluval. it's a 406
20210115_124413.jpg
20210115_124530.jpg

OP
OP
Rip2131

Rip2131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just measured my stand. From the bottom, where the canister sits, to the top of the stand (where the tank sits; there's a little lip for the door to rest against) its about 25 inches. I'll get some pics for you once my "helper" is done with lunch :)

Disclaimer: I don't have the FX4. I have a SunSun 40b and a Fluval 407
Thank you!!

Gogoggansgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 407 if i recall, not a bad unit. My Only real issue is after cleaning and swapping pads it dirties the tank fairly bad for a few 1/2. I’ve never had an issue just something to note also, i would only use carbon, filter pads and some small bio balls that’s it. They become nitrate machines in no time which is why i run macro algae in the display tank

Gogoggansgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
lol i didn’t read the question

yeah on mine it’s about 25 inches top top bottom the big issue is getting the dang hoses out

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 407 if i recall, not a bad unit. My Only real issue is after cleaning and swapping pads it dirties the tank fairly bad for a few 1/2. I’ve never had an issue just something to note also, i would only use carbon, filter pads and some small bio balls that’s it. They become nitrate machines in no time which is why i run macro algae in the display tank
You have to clean ribbed tubbing

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
You need at least 17-18" to store an FX4, and about another 2" to disconnect the hoses
IMG_20210115_182254.jpg

rob taft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a relatively tall Oase Thermo Pro under my 50 gallon and keeping enough slack in the tubing I mounted a shelf using a pair of keyboard desk brackets and a piece of plywood . I turned the keyboard brackets upside down, mounted it to the base of my stand and attached a piece of 1/2 plywood to the brackets. It allows me to slide the canister outside of the stand and where I can remove the prefilter and top without trying to do it under the stand.

As sfin52 mentioned, when I start the filter back up I just place a very fine mesh bag on the return nozzle,. I use bags from used Chemi Pure and an elastic band. Captures all the algae flaking off from the inside of the hoses/tubing.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the FX4, you can shut off the lines and push a button and the hoses release easily. Then you can move the canister wherever you want, sink, tub, beside the stand,anywhere your heart desires, lol

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the FX4, you can shut off the lines and push a button and the hoses release easily. Then you can move the canister wherever you want, sink, tub, beside the stand,anywhere your heart desires, lol
Don't forget you can drain it after connecting so it's not hard to move.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back