Fluval FX6 for a mixed reef tank (fish, soft corals, etc.)

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've posted similar comments like the following to a couple of individuals on different threads, but I haven't received any responses, so I'll try starting this new thread and hopefully someone with some experience will see it. I copied the following from one of the individual threads:

I have a brand new 125 gallon tank that‘s not drilled. I also have and FX6. I’ve been trying to reach out to people on R2R that have experience with the FX6 on a reef tank to find out how it‘s been working out for them, but to no avail. How’s it working for you? What kind of media are you using? How’s the maintenance? What’s in your tank (mixed reef, heavy bioload, etc.). Do you prefer the FX6 over a sump set up? I’d appreciate any advice that you have before I proceed with my set up.

In short, can you have a successful reef with just an FX6 filled with a good biomedia (Seachem Matrix is what I use), and if anyone is doing this would it be possible to get some tank pics and maintenance schedule ideas? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using an FX4 on a 75 gallon for two years now. FX4 is very similar to an FX6 just one less set of trays. I have had excellent luck with it, As long as you’re willing to keep up on the maintenance. I clean my filter and change my media every 4 to 6 weeks. I am using ROX 0.8 carbon and phosguard in my media bags.
That tank started out as a FOWLR tank and I now have a BTA and some mushrooms in it and everything is growing and looking great. Coraline algae is borderline out of control.
A lot of people on this forum and others are against canister filters. I agree a sump is better but my tanks weren’t drilled and I wasn’t willing to try it yet so a canister filter was the easiest and most reasonably priced choice. If I had the option of using a sump, I would choose that option every time. But that being said I wouldn’t be afraid of a canister filter at all. They have their place as long as you’re willing to keep up with the maintenance. I can post a pic of my tank later on today when I get home from work.

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using an FX4 on a 75 gallon for two years now. FX4 is very similar to an FX6 just one less set of trays. I have had excellent luck with it, As long as you’re willing to keep up on the maintenance. I clean my filter and change my media every 4 to 6 weeks. I am using ROX 0.8 carbon and phosguard in my media bags.
That tank started out as a FOWLR tank and I now have a BTA and some mushrooms in it and everything is growing and looking great. Coraline algae is borderline out of control.
A lot of people on this forum and others are against canister filters. I agree a sump is better but my tanks weren’t drilled and I wasn’t willing to try it yet so a canister filter was the easiest and most reasonably priced choice. If I had the option of using a sump, I would choose that option every time. But that being said I wouldn’t be afraid of a canister filter at all. They have their place as long as you’re willing to keep up with the maintenance. I can post a pic of my tank later on today when I get home from work.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I have the same problem with the tank not being drilled (and I really am not interested in drilling it either). What I'm considering doing is filling the entire filter with Seachem Matix for the bio, leaving the sponges in for mechanical and then adding Matrix carbon and Purigen in one of the center baskets. I'm not a rep for Seachem (lol), but I've had great success with their products over the last 20 years or so. Any opinion on adding a hang on refugium and small skimmer? I have a 65 gallon that's been running on a wet dry for about four years (small skimmer and UV as well) and it has 10 fish, inverts (soft corals and the usual cleaners) and 5 BTA's (feed them and they will divide! lol), so I can't imagine why a canister filter set up (maybe with refugium and skimmer) wouldn't work just fine? Water changes in the 65 are 5 gallons once a month, all the bad chemical parameters are near zero. Love to see some of your tank pics! Thank you

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only way I was able to keep long term semi success was weekly changes of the fx6.

Took out all the media and replaced it with ceramic/quarts rings for bio growth. Looking back I would have filled it with live rock.

Check my build thread but my original thread at the beginning.

Used the FX6 with pretty good success.

Eventually your tank will get to a point where a sump and its space is helpful. But the fx6 can do the job for softies for sure!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I was able to keep long term semi success was weekly changes of the fx6.

Took out all the media and replaced it with ceramic/quarts rings for bio growth. Looking back I would have filled it with live rock.

Check my build thread but my original thread at the beginning.

Used the FX6 with pretty good success.

Eventually your tank will get to a point where a sump amd its space is helpful. But the fx6 can do the job for softies for sure!
Thank you, I intend to fill the canister with Seachem Matix, as I've had good success with it. I may also add a hang on skimmer and refugium. Any thoughts on those additional items? It's not practical for me to add a sump and I have no desire to drill the tank to add one.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, I intend to fill the canister with Seachem Matix, as I've had good success with it. I may also add a hang on skimmer and refugium. Any thoughts on those additional items? It's not practical for me to add a sump and I have no desire to drill the tank to add one.
Yup had both HOB on our 75g with the FX6.

Fuge is a bit tricky but is possible. Ours was a "pod hotel" for our mandarins.

You don't have to drill to use a sump.

They make HOB overflows that work really well.

Took us a while to change as the fx6 is really easy to use.

What finally did it for us was the type of coral we wanted to end up keeping.

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup had both HOB on our 75g with the FX6.

Fuge is a bit tricky but is possible. Ours was a "pod hotel" for our mandarins.

You don't have to drill to use a sump.

They make HOB overflows that work really well.

Took us a while to change as the fx6 is really easy to use.

What finally did it for us was the type of coral we wanted to end up keeping.
Do you have any suggestions for a HOB overflow? I've always been a bit paranoid about them and they seem quite costly.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an fx6 on my 55 g for a couple of years and it worked great. I removed all of the foam and typical freshwater filter items and filled the baskets with live rock. I also kept a bag of carbon in there.

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple pics of my 75 with an FX4. I installed a Tunze 9004 DC in the back corner of the tank. It does take up a little room in the tank but it was all I could afford at the time and it works great. I had to take one of the glass covers on the top of the tank to my local glass shop and have a corner cut out to make room for the skimmer.
20210107 FTS.jpg
20210107 Skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an fx6 on my 55 g for a couple of years and it worked great. I removed all of the foam and typical freshwater filter items and filled the baskets with live rock. I also kept a bag of carbon in there.
I’m going to try the Seachem Matrix instead of live rock, that’s where I’m going to start anyhow. What kind of water parameters did you see with the rock? Did you use anything besides the FX6?

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple pics of my 75 with an FX4. I installed a Tunze 9004 DC in the back corner of the tank. It does take up a little room in the tank but it was all I could afford at the time and it works great. I had to take one of the glass covers on the top of the tank to my local glass shop and have a corner cut out to make room for the skimmer.
20210107 FTS.jpg
20210107 Skimmer.jpg

OP
OP
W

WWTPSup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210107 FTS.jpg
20210107 Skimmer.jpg
Wow, your tank is super clean! The FX6 seems to do the trick. How are your water parameters looking?

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sal 1.025
Nitrate hovers around 5 ppm
Phos .03
Cal 420
Mag 1330
Ph 8.0
I use TM pro salt. I do a 5 gal h2o change every week...religiously!!
I feed NLS Thera A pellets and PE mysis daily. Omega One flake every 3 days. And a sheet of nori every other day.
Stocking list:
2 True percula clowns
1 yellow tang
1 coral beauty
1 flame hawkfish
1 royal gramma
2 bengai cardinals. With a mouth full of babys!!!
1 orange spotted goby
Several hermit crabs and snails
1 BTA and a colony of ricordea mushrooms.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try the Seachem Matrix instead of live rock, that’s where I’m going to start anyhow. What kind of water parameters did you see with the rock? Did you use anything besides the FX6?
I also used some kind of fake live rock in there- those really porous blocks. I had a lot of live rock in the DT too.
water parameters were good. Zoas grew like crazy and fish were healthy.
the only other thing I used was an undersized protein skimmer.

jesus6645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I’m about to make the switch for my anemone tank. Going from 37 gallon tall tank to a 55 gallon tank. The 37 had tidal 55 HOB and a HOB Reef Octopus-100. Im ditching the tidal 55 for a FX6 canister and keeping the HOB Reef Octopus. WWTPSup did you set up your FX canister already? If so, what filters/media did you use in the trays/slots.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back