Flying with Coral - TSA Experience

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are in the security line at the airport with well over 4oz of water and some coral in your carry-on luggage.. You inform the first TSA agent you encounter and get raised eye brows.

This article will take you through my experience traveling within the United States (Orlando to Chicago) and transporting coral in my carry-on baggage in hope that it will assist others with question on how to do so, and what they may experience.

Back to the raised eyebrows.. The first gentleman asks "Coral? Like coral from the ocean? Do you have an aquarium or something?" After some small talk, holding up passengers behind me, he says, check with TSA at the security check-point and let them know you have it.

I get to the lane, remove my shoes, take out my laptop and place them all in the tray. When I catch the TSA agents attention, I state that I have a few pieces of coral and ask if she would like me to remove it from my bag for inspection. I get more raised eyebrows! "What is it?" and before I can answer "Take it out so I can see it." And again, I go into the conversation explaining what coral is, an animal. She then goes on to tell me that she is not sure that I can take it through and I explained that their website confirms it can be carried onto the aircraft in carry-on luggage.

She tells me she is not sure, takes the bag and places it into a separate X-Ray bin and says that a supervisor will be over to speak with me.

The supervisor comes over and goes "It is coral?" I reply, "Yes". She then explains to another TSA agent that they are unable to open the bag, but need to confirm that it is alive. Once this is completed, I would need to submit to a pat down and the agents gloves would be tested for illegal substances/explosives. If the tests come back clean, I'm free to continue on.

Well, let me be the first to tell you, if you have not received a "pat down" by a TSA agent, it is more like a rub down of every inch of your body. The use the inside of their hands in a sweeping motion for "non-sensitive" areas, and the backside of their hand in a sweeping motion for "sensitive" areas. They are thorough, which is a good thing all things considered, but those that may be sensitive to this, may want to think twice. One additional thing to add is I also traveled alone so I am unsure if all parties traveling together would also be subject to this.

Now, I am not condoning this or suggesting you take this approach, but airlines have varying animal policies. Feel free to check with your airline as to the scope of their policy; however, due to the slim likelyhood that my coral would start meowing or barking which in by backpack, I chose not to let them know.

I will say a special thank you to WWC and their hospitality while I was flying through, with my suitcase, and getting a quick look at their store and their gorgeous tanks. They were more than willing to bag the items well and provide an extra bag, just in case. They also suggested keeping your receipt handy; however, TSA never requested it.

Please consider this to be an overview of one experience. Your experience may vary and please be aware that final decision is with the TSA on what makes it through the security check-point.

TSA Coral.JPG

Source: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/live-coral

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Nothing like having the website tell you it's OK, but that it's up to the TSA officer at the checkpoint to actually allow it.

I'm curious about the screenshot at the end that says that corals in checked bags is NOT ok. I checked a box of corals with no issues a few months ago from Milwaukee on Southwest. I had no idea it might be a problem.

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Nothing like having the website tell you it's OK, but that it's up to the TSA officer at the checkpoint to actually allow it.

I'm curious about the screenshot at the end that says that corals in checked bags is NOT ok. I checked a box of corals with no issues a few months ago from Milwaukee on Southwest. I had no idea it might be a problem.
I was surprised by this also!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rules are different here in Canada they simply won't allow extra liquid regardless. That being said for small frags, or even a medium sized colony it's easier to just dump the water before you go through security and wrap the coral in damp paper towel. I've done this twice and neither time did I have to open the carry on bag after it went through the scanner. My guess is it appears to be food on the scanner. I've kept corals out of the water for 12hrs without too much issue. For some it's actually better since they can't slime up in a small amount of water.

For larger amounts imo it's best to just pay the $30 or whatever and check the bag. I've only done this once, again here in Canada I know at least one major airline does not allow fish or corals in checked baggage either as they want them to go air cargo as pets. That being said the airline doesn't really see what's inside since it's airport security that check the box. I had a live fish box checked on my last flight without issue.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think something worth keeping in mind is the screening agent at the TSA has the final say about whether something is allowed through the security checkpoint. I would personally not count on them letting a coral through simply because it says they will on their website. The website says at the very top of the page of allowed/prohibited items that the agent makes the final decision:

final.JPG

Maybe the agent is cool and will let it through. Maybe the agent is not. I would personally not take that chance just because it says they're allowed on the website.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Im headed to Orlando in July and plan to stop at WWC. I've ordered from them before and shipping worked fine, but was wondering how transporting myself would work. Their shipping is reasonable, free if above $199 otherwise 29.99 out of state. More if you want saturday. Since I'll likely be traveling with kids, logistically it'd be easier to ship them (corals, as far as I know I cannot ship my kids :D ).

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article... love the disclaimer at the bottom of their website...

"The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

Hopefully, the TSA officer isn't having a bad day when you go through.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Security theater.

Know how many terrorists they've caught? Zero. They miss 95% of the prohibited 'test' objects their own agents send through. Know how many TSA agents have been arrested for stealing from passengers? Hundreds, every year.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried they would expect it to look alive or be moving, but never had a problem with coral. Even made it through with pods and nudibranches...which just look like debris. But since the liquid rule is kind of BS anyway, I guess they aren't real strict.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative!!! I fly through Orlando occasionally and I've considered a detour over to WWC, but I always assumed it would be too much of a hassle at security. Now I will make it a habit to stop by every time I pass through Orlando.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I was shocked to see the TSA's rules on live coral!

From 2013 through 2016, I was on the road for business travel 4 days a week in various cities from coast to coast. As such, I would conduct some pre-trip online research and see what reef shops were in the area of my ultimate destination. One of my first trips was north of Detroit, so obviously I found myself at Tropicorium, which was only a few miles from the airport. The low prices and huge selection of coral and live rock was mind blowing, so there was no way I was going to let this opportunity pass me by. After a quick trip to a nearby Menard's, I picked up a rolling cylindrical sports cooler (maybe 10-12 gallon capacity) with a latch that would accept a TSA padlock. I packed that cooler full to capacity with live rock and coral frags. Once I got to the airport, I checked the cooler and my luggage for my United flight back to Houston. That was the first of several trips, where I brought home various forms of marine life from pet stores all over the US. I never once had an issue checking the cooler in as an item of luggage and I never had a single casualty during transport. My last trip of note was actually with family to the Keys where I went on a tide pool collection spree and brought back 4 pieces of luggage packed with sea life. In preparation for that trip I chopped some Omaha Steaks styrofoam coolers down to size, thereby retrofitting my typical pieces of luggage into ideal marine life transport containers. Before departing, my LFS was kind enough to give me a stack of plastic bags, which I doubled up for safety's sake. (Please note that I purchased the appropriate FL state fishing licenses and thoroughly reviewed the FL statues concerning marine life collection practices as bag limits and protected species are extensively detailed.)

I guess, I need to turn myself in to TSA first thing in the morning?

Drew

OP
OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I was shocked to see the TSA's rules on live coral!

From 2013 through 2016, I was on the road for business travel 4 days a week in various cities from coast to coast. As such, I would conduct some pre-trip online research and see what reef shops were in the area of my ultimate destination. One of my first trips was north of Detroit, so obviously I found myself at Tropicorium, which was only a few miles from the airport. The low prices and huge selection of coral and live rock was mind blowing, so there was no way I was going to let this opportunity pass me by. After a quick trip to a nearby Menard's, I picked up a rolling cylindrical sports cooler (maybe 10-12 gallon capacity) with a latch that would accept a TSA padlock. I packed that cooler full to capacity with live rock and coral frags. Once I got to the airport, I checked the cooler and my luggage for my United flight back to Houston. That was the first of several trips, where I brought home various forms of marine life from pet stores all over the US. I never once had an issue checking the cooler in as an item of luggage and I never had a single casualty during transport. My last trip of note was actually with family to the Keys where I went on a tide pool collection spree and brought back 4 pieces of luggage packed with sea life. In preparation for that trip I chopped some Omaha Steaks styrofoam coolers down to size, thereby retrofitting my typical pieces of luggage into ideal marine life transport containers. Before departing, my LFS was kind enough to give me a stack of plastic bags, which I doubled up for safety's sake. (Please note that I purchased the appropriate FL state fishing licenses and thoroughly reviewed the FL statues concerning marine life collection practices as bag limits and protected species are extensively detailed.)

I guess, I need to turn myself in to TSA first thing in the morning?

Drew

Please do.. I can't believe you disobeyed so blatantly ;)

Reef Jeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting! I travel a lot and found a number of high quality coral stores in places like Nashville, Tucson, Phoenix, etc. I have talked to TSA and they have all given the deer in the headlights look with no answers. I made the mistake of asking one agent about transporting livestock. I forgot to say aquarium in front of it. He replied, “livestock, like pigs and cows!” Lol. I replied, no corals, and he scratched his head and said “what?” I said, sorry, let me start over. His final answer was “I have no idea, above my pay grade”.

I heard you could take Coral in your carry on, which is what I would do, but I never had confirmation. The TSA webpage you posted is awesome...thanks! That is now saved as a favorite in my cell phone for my next trip.

I plan to try this on my next trip. I’ll start with a lower cost piece just in case the TSA decides to call it no go in spite of what the website says.

I also hear there is a company that makes containers that they claim are great for TSA checkpoints but I misplaced the companies name. They sell the containers for vendors who transport corals by air to swap meets and such.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH you don't know how many times I have thought about doing this, I have backed every time. I am TSA Pre Screened but I am also Diabetic and have to get the pat down due to my pump. Some days are good through TSA but some times you get one that is in a bad mood, so I not sure i will try it. I fly at lest 1 time a month sometime 5 or 6 times a month

Thanks for the write up

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm confused regarding the rule. It says "in checked bags" NO? dont we put tons of liquids in our checked bags because we can't carry more than 3 oz liquid in our carry ons? Maybe i'm not understanding correctly?

Monty Alexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to take some corals from Florida to Wyoming and I made it to the plane and they caught up with me and took my corals from me. I lost a lot of money that day. Learned my lesson. It happens oh well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back