OP
ihavecrabs

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm confused regarding the rule. It says "in checked bags" NO? dont we put tons of liquids in our checked bags because we can't carry more than 3 oz liquid in our carry ons? Maybe i'm not understanding correctly?
In your carry-on. They actually explicitly say it isn't allowed to be checked; however it doesn't sound like it is enforced based on many other people's experience.

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through this at the Tampa airport. I had five bags of corals. Unfortunately there was more than 3 1/2 oz of water in each bag so....After explaining what they were, there was a consultation with a supervisor and I received the gloved hands pat down. Then each bag had to be opened and a test strip was held at the bag opening and then inserted into a machine for reading. After all of that was done I was allowed to carry the corals on the airplane as carry on. If each bag had had less water in it, most, if not all of this would not have been necessary. The whole process took 10 to 15 minutes. The TSA agent was very polite and added that he learned something new.

Next time I buy corals at a LFS in Florida and fly home I'll have them wrapped in damp paper or at least in a very small amount of water.

If you are checking your corals as checked baggage the fluid amount is not important.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Nothing like having the website tell you it's OK, but that it's up to the TSA officer at the checkpoint to actually allow it.

I'm curious about the screenshot at the end that says that corals in checked bags is NOT ok. I checked a box of corals with no issues a few months ago from Milwaukee on Southwest. I had no idea it might be a problem.
I travel a lot for work and routinely bring frags home in insulated screw top thermoses. I've never had an issue with it.

sticksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few days ago i took a fly from Orlando to my country with at least 30 frags, not even packed, why? The deliver from ups delayed and i almost lost my flight so, i received the corals and went to the airport then just took them out of the box and put the small bags covered with some clothes on my checked bag. They made it.

scott711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just flew a few weeks ago from San Diego with a box of coral (some large pieces). The bags had a lot of water in them. The box was labeled live fish and the TSA agents opened the box, looked at the bags and swabbed them for residue. I also showed them the TSA website with the details of flying with coral. They were very nice and repackaged everything and taped it back up with TSA inspected tape and sent me on my way. No issues at all. It added maybe 10-15 minutes.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just flew a few weeks ago from San Diego with a box of coral (some large pieces). The bags had a lot of water in them. The box was labeled live fish and the TSA agents opened the box, looked at the bags and swabbed them for residue. I also showed them the TSA website with the details of flying with coral. They were very nice and repackaged everything and taped it back up with TSA inspected tape and sent me on my way. No issues at all. It added maybe 10-15 minutes.
I like that you printed out their regulations and I would paste the web link in as well or make sure it is there if using a screen shot. Good thinking. It shows that you are complying and gives them the reference for their peace of mind in an unfamiliar situation for them. Well done and thanks for the tip.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have flown from back to Chicago from MACNA the last 3 years with coral and zero issues with TSA. Perhaps it is because I have precheck, they glanced at the container, ran it through the x-ray with my carry-on, I went through the metal detector, and off to my gate. All 3 times I was through in under a minute.

T Carey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel a lot for work and routinely bring frags home in insulated screw top thermoses. I've never had an issue with it.

When you do that how much water is in the thermos when you do that? Do you check that in your baggage or do you carry that on the plane?

At last years MACNA there was a guy selling frag containers for air travel. About a 4 to 5" dia plastic container with a disk inside with holes for frag plugs to fit into. Those sold out early on. I can see those having less than the magic 3 1/2 oz of water in them which should make TSA happy.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do that how much water is in the thermos when you do that? Do you check that in your baggage or do you carry that on the plane?

At last years MACNA there was a guy selling frag containers for air travel. About a 4 to 5" dia plastic container with a disk inside with holes for frag plugs to fit into. Those sold out early on. I can see those having less than the magic 3 1/2 oz of water in them which should make TSA happy.

I re-read my post and should have clarified. I put them in my checked luggage. Frags go in bags with water and are cut down as needed to fit inside the thermos (I use the wide mouth ones that are designed to hold meals; they're insulated and will keep stuff hot/cold for hours). I have a half dozen dedicated containers like this and always take 2-3 with me when I travel. Several years ago, I was picking up a load of ORA corals in Florida before heading home to Tennessee. I got several different answers (including one from Southwest that said "no saltwater on a plane, period") and didn't want to risk being turned away so I rented a car and drove home. Since then, I just haven't asked and it's never been an issue, even when I get those "TSA was Here" inspection notices placed in my suitcase....

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will share my experience and let me tell you that not only is up to the TSA to make the final decision it will also depend on the airline. I was recently in Austin and had some time so decided to go down to Austin Aquadome great place. I ended buying a Blue jaw pair and some corals to bring home. I had done the TSA research where they allow fish and coral as carry on luggage. I got to the airport and had no problems getting through TSA. When I got to the checkpoint the supervisor told me that they had to notify the airline that I would be bringing fish on board, I thought no problem most airlines allow dogs and figured I was in the clear. The supervisor got off the phone with Southwest person they sent me back to the ticket counter to discuss the issue with the Southwest supervisor. Long story short at the end of a long discussion I was not allowed to transport the fish and coral on the plane. The Southwest animal travel policy has not been updated to reflect the fact that TSA allows it, the supervisor was adamant that the reason I could not carry the fish on board was due to the amount of water in the bags. She did not care about the TSA policy or the fact that I had already made it through security initially. Fish and coral were confiscated and was told that I could have someone pick them up. Only to get home and find out that when the person got to the airport to pick up fish and coral was told the fish had been donated/taken home by another person already because the "2 hour" time frame they had given me had passed. I was eventually compensated by southwest for the fish and coral, but my advice would be to check with your airline prior to purchasing coral/fish. TSA is probably not going to have an issue after thorough inspection.

nola90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun story: 2 years ago, my brother and I went through LAX on my way home with 2 koi roughly 2 feet each (separate bags). When we arrived, I politely told one agent, they had me walk to the side and they'd get their supervisor to come. The supervisor simply had me take everything out the suitcase (clothes, computer, etc), took a look of it all, inspected the living fish, opened the bag, took a sample of my water, tested it, and it all checked out. Went through 30 minutes later.

It is up to TSA and the airline if they allow it. It was a sight to see, people were staring, I was laughing, the agents were laughing, some were even jealous how gorgeous the koi were. One told me usually its tiny fish like a rare beta that people transit, never a 2ft koi. If you check TSA's website and/or calling them directly, its up to the agent. Doesn't matter the amount of water in the bag as they'll inspect the "living specimen" and sample it to make sure its not something like alcohol.

Most of the time though, you never have to inform the airline.

Jamison Daniel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this on multiple occasions when I visit family and see something I like at the fish shop there. Have never had a problem.

dreamsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. Sounds like I don’t want to risk it, at least when traveling with my son. TSA agents can be unpredictable. When my son was a preschooler, we were permitted to take peanut butter in our carryon, which turns out to be against the rules. Now that he is a 6’ tall young man, being black means he gets extra questions and pardoned. I don’t want to bring any additional attention.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it. The company is called “Building an obsession”. They sell coral frag transporters”. Here is the smallest version.

https://buildinganobsession.com/products/personal-sized-frag-transport

Wanted to share my experience with this container.

I purchased it based on this thread, and it was WAY larger than I expected. About 15oz water capacity.

I just (about 10 minutes ago) took it through security at TPA. Pre-check line, I told the agent I had a containet with live coral in water and he would probably want to look at it before it went through the machine. He allowed me to take it out and immediately called a supervisor, said that in 16 years he had nevet encountered live coral. The supervisor took the container and after I was through the metal detector led me to the sniffer. He read the printout from the tsa site, swabbed my hands and the outside of the container. Once the swab came back clean he wished me a good day and returnes the container, still sealed closed.
Picture taken from the terminal.
I used this as a test of how it would go. Bringing a bunch of frags to a buddy out of town. Your mileage may vary, but things went well and were easy for me.

1112181702.jpg

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you guys deal with temp on a non insulated container?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 87 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back