Foam or no foam under rimmed tank?

HexaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a bit of debate over this. I'm told, "If it has a rim, no foam is needed" and "Only foam under rimless". But some say they do it regardless.

What say you!?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally you want to go by the manufacturer recommendations. Flat bottom tanks that do not have a bottom frame generally use foam or a pad where tanks that have a bottom frame should sit flush on a stand without foam or use wood/composite shims to ensure the tank is fully supported.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Oceanic 220 w/ frame, sits directly on my stand with no foam. Though my top is completely flat granite. If it had been a couple of 2x4's or something similar, I would have used foam.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think with the rimmed tank, the glass sit on the plastic trim so the glass doesnt really touches the stand to help with the imperfection of the stand and surface area. the reason people have the foam on the bottom is to avoid pressure points on a rimless tank to prevent from cracking. weight distribution on glass tank is on the 4 corners. but you would want to contact the manufacturer to find out their recommendation so it doesnt void warranty if the tank is new.

saturn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using foam, well black fatigue mats from harbor freight, had them under my 220 rimmed. and now under my 45 frag tank, rimmed bottom, rimless top. No issues with either. Both homemade stands.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back