OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gotcha if I made it tall enough I could have the top edge of it out of the water then run silicone or super glue around the top do you think that'd be enough to keep it in place

If I were you, I'd make it a very tight fit and wedge it in place. My 26 is this way and I'm positive it wouldn't move even without the silicone, but I wanted the edges sealed. Silicone at the top might help..

Question. I have been thinking about doing something like this also. I have an acrylic take tho. I have been told that silicon would not adhere to acrylic. any suggestions for sealing the edges.

Also nice job on the how to. Looks great.

Thanks!

I'm not a big acrylic/silicone expert, but I would think that since the silicone isn't going to be under any load and isn't structural that it should be fine to seal the edges.

Nice job!

Article? @mdbannister

Thanks, cromag!
Terrific write-up and very generous of you to take the time to do it! Much appreciated!
Everyone needs a foam wall! :)

It's my pleasure. Just sharing so others can enjoy the benefits of making and having their very own foam wall.

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very, very nice work Sam and Cliff! Those backgrounds are better than those I've seen in many zoos/public aquariums.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you, I'd make it a very tight fit and wedge it in place. My 26 is this way and I'm positive it wouldn't move even without the silicone, but I wanted the edges sealed. Silicone at the top might help..

Thanks!

I'm not a big acrylic/silicone expert, but I would think that since the silicone isn't going to be under any load and isn't structural that it should be fine to seal the edges.

Thanks, cromag!

Everyone needs a foam wall! :)

It's my pleasure. Just sharing so others can enjoy the benefits of making and having their very own foam wall.

Very nice, Sam! This would have been a heck of a process for my new tank! hahah...

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this here in one place. I think I'll have to bite the bullet on making one now, but I've got to figure some stuff out to hide everything.

Great article, and great shots of your 26!

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice job ! Looks Great !
Thanks, jhoop!

Thanks for posting this here in one place. I think I'll have to bite the bullet on making one now, but I've got to figure some stuff out to hide everything.

Great article, and great shots of your 26!

That's the fun part! Figuring out how to design the wall around your tank/plans is what makes it unique and cool.

Thanks! I'll post a few old and recent shots of the 26 this evening for you. :)

zflugun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to Menards today
1480641172072.jpg

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to Menards today
1480641172072.jpg
Uh oh! :0

How much did the eggcrate cost you?

I paid $13 at Home Depot...
I almost never made a foam wall because I'm cheap and thought it was ridiculous how expensive the cheap plastic diffuser was. Lol

Post pics of your process!

zflugun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the same I had a harder time buying the foam for 8 a can then I did the egg create lol I'm gonna build one for my Bettas first then if it all goes well I'll do my reef

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the same I had a harder time buying the foam for 8 a can then I did the egg create lol I'm gonna build one for my Bettas first then if it all goes well I'll do my reef
Haha, my first can of foam I found on sale at HD for only $4!
Then I took a few months to start the project and needed more foam. Went back expecting to pay $4 again.. $13! 2 cans from there. Then bought one last can for $10ish online. So, roughly 3.5 cans to do my 26.

I found the great stuff for $6.79 shipped on eBay.

zflugun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've only got 2 10s so I'm hoping 2 cans will hold me over lol I'll have to order a crate of eBay though if this works out lol

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use for paint? did you coat it with epoxy?

Here is the wall before filing the tank for the first time.

Here's a 6 min video of my tank from about 2 weeks ago!

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use for paint? did you coat it with epoxy?

The only thing on the wall was a small amount of crushed coral and beach sand thrown on when wet, then contact cement with sand sprinkled on top after it was dry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back