sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for it to setup

20161207_192112.jpg
That's how it's done!

Dump a ton of sand so you know you'll get good coverage. Looking good.

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Manchild if you get that 20g we should do this to the back wall.... there is no rush to get it up and running so we could do it right.

Gbrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Gbrum!!

Anything you did that was different from what I posted or things that worked well for you?

Pretty much as you described. Only difference is I left about a inch of eggcreate around the edges exposed. Then used great stuff to attach it to the plexiglass. Because silicone doesnt stick to plexiglass.

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much as you described. Only difference is I left about a inch of eggcreate around the edges exposed. Then used great stuff to attach it to the plexiglass. Because silicone doesnt stick to plexiglass.
That's a great idea. Kudos on the wall, looks great!

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I drained the RO water, added some sand from my display, some coral rubble to the back compartment, and filled the 2.5g with display (26g) water.
Trying to get the mini tank going with some biological filtration from the display.

I put a xenia frag in the mini tank to see how it does as well.

Saw a bubble tip I really wanted at the LFS yesterday! :0
Very tempted to buy it and stick it in the 2.5. Lol

It has a tan base, purple tentacles and florescent green tips!

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went a little different direction with this, and eschewed doing a wall, and went with an island. The biggest selling point was I'd be able to remove the entire thing if I change my mind/sell the tank. Trying to find some bulk resin so I can sand the foam (I don't mind the black, just a big to round on some shapes) and add some smaller rocks to it.

Tank is a 30 Rimless:
20161219_011726.jpg

20161219_011655.jpg

OP
OP
sam.basye

sam.basye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went a little different direction with this, and eschewed doing a wall, and went with an island. The biggest selling point was I'd be able to remove the entire thing if I change my mind/sell the tank. Trying to find some bulk resin so I can sand the foam (I don't mind the black, just a big to round on some shapes) and add some smaller rocks to it.

Tank is a 30 Rimless:
20161219_011726.jpg

20161219_011655.jpg

Nice! I want to do some sort of island/wall when I eventually get a bigger tank.

How do you plan to secure the island?

bump3rb33tl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Everything looks great! I just picked up a 60gl cube and I definately plan on doing a foam wall. Keep the pic's coming everyone, I need more idea's :)

Gbrum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank is a 30 Rimless:
20161219_011726.jpg

20161219_011655.jpg
Thats not a bad idea. I've always drilled and doweled to hold stacked rocks. Or just stacked.

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 20 long I'll be using for a refugium that I want to try something in as well. The more I look at my first attempt, the more I'd like to re-do it and try other things. I used two cans of foam, but after seeing how much it expands, I should be able to make something similar with one can next time. I've got plenty of eggcrate, so maybe I'll try in the next couple of days.

In regards to how I'll keep it down, that will most likely be by attaching eggcrate to the bottom (and I need to chop off about 3" on each tripod area) and use rock on top of that eggcrate to give it more weight. I'd also like to make it much more hollow.

The more I look at it the more things I'd like to try out. I've got a pretty fun idea for a drop off that looks like it should work too.

More pics when I start planning/setting up the 20L over the holidays.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back