Foamy white/clear slime on top of sump water...

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E9E0AFAA-3F71-4F29-AA0B-B985C0C75C1B.jpeg
I have this nasty stuff all over the drain section of my sump. My frag tank is also cloudy with stringy white slime all over the eggcrate... bacteria bloom of some sort or something else.?!? It’s literally like snot, but doesn’t have a smell.

Never seen this stuff before.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
Funny I almost tagged you in my original post;)

No carbon dosing. No biopellets. No nopox. No candles. Did have a glade air freshener in there but took it out a fewweeks ago. The only other thing is some newly ran/glued plumbing and a few new titles for coral grow out. Added the tiles and redid the plumbing on the same day. Tiles were rinsed well but I only gave the plumbing a few hours to cure before I brought it back online.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
Funny I almost tagged you in my original post;)

No carbon dosing. No biopellets. No nopox. No candles. Did have a glade air freshener in there but took it out a fewweeks ago. The only other thing is some newly ran/glued plumbing and a few new titles for coral grow out. Added the tiles and redid the plumbing on the same day. Tiles were rinsed well but I only gave the plumbing a few hours to cure before I brought it back online.
PVC glue? I don’t know that I’ve heard of that causing this. Possible I suppose.

What glue was it?

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. Be done that and used it too soon too and didn’t have that happen.

It’s clear or whiteish or brownish slime?
The pic doesn’t do it justice. It’s white and foamy and floats thick on the surface. Congealed and slime like substance, mucus like.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez. Never seen it like that.
Was it close or purple , mine was always purple.

#reefsquad , pvc otay glue makes slime ?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen glue do that. Used plumbing very shortly after gluing. Possibly a coral releasing slime. Following along for the answer :)

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is a 50g lowboy and the sump is an old school eshopps 36x16x16. It’s plumbed in with a standard 75g but it’s not currently connected as I have the ball valve closed essentially making the 75 a stand alone tank. The only other thing that I did was move some new “dry” rock from the lowboy and placed it in the 75. 75 is looking fine, no issues at all. The rock had only been wet for about 2-3 weeks. No coral in the system.

Pic of the tank the day before I noticed anything. Honestly I’m perplexed.
553EFBD9-F9B0-40EA-AB8B-F65997E381B3.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic doesn’t do it justice. It’s white and foamy and floats thick on the surface. Congealed and slime like substance, mucus like.
I saw this same thing on some Netflix show, like Earths most Bizzare or something like that. It is a marine bacteria I think they said. Shoot, I wish I was paying attention better.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this same thing on some Netflix show, like Earths most Bizzare or something like that. It is a marine bacteria I think they said. Shoot, I wish I was paying attention better.
Stuff is so nasty and thick it clogged a felt sock in just a matter of minutes. I removed the sock and the thing held water just like a plastic bag would. Even after I dumped the water down the sink the sock seemed to weigh around 5 lbs or so!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff is so nasty and thick it clogged a felt sock in just a matter of minutes. I removed the sock and the thing held water just like a plastic bag would. Even after I dumped the water down the sink the sock seemed to weigh around 5 lbs or so!
Omg ! Lol

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I was thinking nopox because it slimes my tank but that’s not it. Is it getting worse?

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
41EFF227-255B-4F9B-832E-0431F6E80FE4.jpeg

Put some enkamat in the overflow and was able to catch some and get a better picture. Sump doesn’t have nearly as much scuz on the surface this morning but the water in the frag tank is still cloudy. I’m guessing a really bad bacteria bloom and that I’ll just have to give time...

Would bottled bacteria like Dr Tims help? Would it possibly out compete this stuff?

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what the heck?

LOL, I know right. I've never seen anything like it in my years of reefing. Slime is gone now, all on its own... water is still a little bit cloudy, but I'm going to put some filter floss in the sump to if that will clear it up.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I know right. I've never seen anything like it in my years of reefing. Slime is gone now, all on its own... water is still a little bit cloudy, but I'm going to put some filter floss in the sump to if that will clear it up.

Probably a bacterial bloom then. Weird.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back