Follow a noobs QT

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting a small thread of me a novice QT person through my QT of this juvenile Yellow tang. Tanks been up about 2 weeks has an oversized HOB running full clip with a filter sock from my DT in it. There’s also 5-10 gallons of DT water in it with the rest being fresh RODI saltwater. Today is day 2 for this fella at my house. I had the LFS hold him for 2 weeks in their copper tank just because I wouldn’t be able to run copper properly myself.

Yesterday the fish was calm and collected through out the process. He ate some frozen shrimp yesterday and I have some red seaweed on a clip in there this morning. Gonna let him wake up a little then do a 5g water change.

when I tested parameters the day before he came home all were at 0 ppm
Temp 78
Salinity .020
Game plan for him is to get him eating then start him on Metro/focus for a week then monitor for a week then dose the tank with Metro and then monitor again. I’m not against a FW dip most people do it first thing I’ve seen? I have to do more research on what to look for when I do it beside floating flukes in the water.

I know this seems like a shorter process than most people that have been here and done it much longer but I feel this is comfortable with where I currently stand on QT knowledge.

So at the end of his time the fish will have spent

2 weeks in copper system at LFS. Eating
1 week eating metro/focus
1 week monitor
2 weeks in tank solution of metro

any other simple suggestions or things to do are welcome!

ADCFA2EC-08E3-4FBE-A18B-196171866AF7.jpeg

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E821A9B5-16EC-40E4-AD7C-0C8F1AC32424.jpeg

Day 3 he’s eating both seaweed on a clip and frozen shrimp. He’s calm unless I put something in the tank like the water change hose. Going to start soaking shrimp in metro/focus for the week.

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
issuse with LFS QT is copper leverl are usually kept below 2ppm as that also usually have sensitive fish in the system. Even a 14-15 day treatment in the correct 2ppm copper is not enough to rid a fish of things like ick if not also using TTM! you never actually break the cycle, if not TTMing you MUST/SHOULD keep them in for a full 30 days, followed by 14-21 days in an observation period.

OP
OP
Cwentz758

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but we also have to take into account people’s ability to QT in some of these more drawn out ways. Yes a longer more diverse QT system betters your chances of a clean fish with no issues but then there’s others who don’t have the means to have a third running tank for TTM or have the time to successfully run copper the correct way. I look at it currently from what I’m able to do is lessoning my risk of disease or an outbreak. My way for sure isn’t bulletproof and certainly isn’t the best but it’s a step in the right direction atleast for where I’m at in the hobby.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back