Food for Thought: Sump Without Return Bulkhead Bracket

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Was going to ask the same question

I mean I’m kind of old a not as familiar with a lot of the new sump trends but what would be the benefit if plumbing a return line a few inches up to a bulkhead rather than up and out?
may be easier to swap out the pump for cleaning.

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to ask the same question

I mean I’m kind of old a not as familiar with a lot of the new sump trends but what would be the benefit if plumbing a return line a few inches up to a bulkhead rather than up and out?
Hi Adam,

First off, big fan.

Typically, without the bulkhead in the return there is a lot of instability in the piping and you might have run up the plumbing to the stand any maybe get a mount of some sort for the PVC, while if you plumb up to a bulk head you have stability for the rest of your plumbing. Hope that makes sense.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Adam,

First off, big fan.

Typically, without the bulkhead in the return there is a lot of instability in the piping and you might have run up the plumbing to the stand any maybe get a mount of some sort for the PVC, while if you plumb up to a bulk head you have stability for the rest of your plumbing. Hope that makes sense.
Hey thanks for chiming in! I get the stability thing for sure. But it still seems like a bit more work than ultimately necessary. Maybe even a tad quirky when it comes to pulling the pump unless you have a union. But again I’m old, man lol. Too set in my ways for sure lol so don’t take what I say all to seriously

However I could see this helping a lot if you wanted to cover the sump completely. To help with evap and such.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
200.gif

heh. good point about the evap

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back