Food grade for dosing

Misfits

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi am currently using redsea ca kh mg for dosing in my 500L sps system, now planning to convert the 3 dosing supplements to food graded. So kind of not so sure on which is which? Anyone can enlighten me on this just to make sure i get the right chemicals thanks.

CA = calcium chloride or calcium carbonate
KH = sodium bicarbonate or sodium chloride
MG = magnesium chloride?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the three chems calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are the most consistent if you get them food grade from a market or chemist. Also cheap.

Magnesium chloride is a bit more of a wild card because its primarily used as a decicer. If you're in Australia that...uh...might be a problem :)

OP
OP
Misfits

Misfits

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the three chems calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) are the most consistent if you get them food grade from a market or chemist. Also cheap.

Magnesium chloride is a bit more of a wild card because its primarily used as a decicer. If you're in Australia that...uh...might be a problem :)
yes am able to get all this 3 chemicals locally in my country.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just baking soda and driveway melt is plenty good enough for decades for some people. Any type of food grade calcium chloride that you get will be good too. Baking Soda is already a food grade sodium bicarbonate - if you can get washing soda at your local market, this is sodium carbonate, or you can make sodium carbonate by heating up baking soda in the oven for a while (there are instruction on this online).

I don't know what do to about Mag - I change water somewhat regularly and have a CaRx that keeps mine up. I used to use Epsom Salt to keep my Mag up way back in the day - safe and easy, but is Mag Sulfate and not Mag Chloride.

Dowflake is a popular Calcium Chloride product that turf and tennis companies will sell to help maintain the turf/grass. You can check a supplier if you don't have icy conditions near you.

Just the old school stuff in this article has worked for decades. There is not any need to get fancier than this.

OP
OP
Misfits

Misfits

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just baking soda and driveway melt is plenty good enough for decades for some people. Any type of food grade calcium chloride that you get will be good too. Baking Soda is already a food grade sodium bicarbonate - if you can get washing soda at your local market, this is sodium carbonate, or you can make sodium carbonate by heating up baking soda in the oven for a while (there are instruction on this online).

I don't know what do to about Mag - I change water somewhat regularly and have a CaRx that keeps mine up. I used to use Epsom Salt to keep my Mag up way back in the day - safe and easy, but is Mag Sulfate and not Mag Chloride.

Dowflake is a popular Calcium Chloride product that turf and tennis companies will sell to help maintain the turf/grass. You can check a supplier if you don't have icy conditions near you.

Just the old school stuff in this article has worked for decades. There is not any need to get fancier than this.
thanks for the info mate great help

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back