Food recommendation for plank feeder?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a plank feeder in my 240 gallon reef tank, feeding freeze dried plankton (Reef Jerky, that came with the feeder). Most of the fish seem to love the reef jerky. I decided to get a second plank feeder for the tank, both in order to feed a more varied diet, and also so that my fish stop hanging out all day on the side of the tank where the feeder is.

For those of you who don't know the Plank feeder, it has a pump that pumps the food down into the water column.

Can anyone recommend food to use with my second feeder? A friend recommended slow sinking pellets, but I don't know that food...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a plank feeder in my 240 gallon reef tank, feeding freeze dried plankton (Reef Jerky, that came with the feeder). Most of the fish seem to love the reef jerky. I decided to get a second plank feeder for the tank, both in order to feed a more varied diet, and also so that my fish stop hanging out all day on the side of the tank where the feeder is.

For those of you who don't know the Plank feeder, it has a pump that pumps the food down into the water column.

Can anyone recommend food to use with my second feeder? A friend recommended slow sinking pellets, but I don't know that food...
Pellets, flakes, and frozen cubes are used in mine

ReeferCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets, flakes, and frozen cubes are used in mine
How do the frozen cubes work? Do you add them in frozen with all of the other dry things or just by themselves. Does it smell foul? I love the idea of using frozen cubes in my plank feeder. I have contemplated it, but have concerns of it making a colossal mess, or possibly damaging the feeder.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do the frozen cubes work? Do you add them in frozen with all of the other dry things or just by themselves. Does it smell foul? I love the idea of using frozen cubes in my plank feeder. I have contemplated it, but have concerns of it making a colossal mess, or possibly damaging the feeder.
I add them semi thawed (when still together but melting)

Avast Justin

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he means adding them to the mixing chamber by hand, and letting the water swirl melt and distribute the frozen cube. Definitely don't add a frozen cube to the dry food in the keg portion!

DaveT, to answer your original question, you could try just some plain mysis or copepods if there are a certain subset of fish you want to feed more specifically. But otherwise, the Jerky is going to have the widest appeal to all inhabitants.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back