(for an article) tell me about your powerheads

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to hear about your powerheads and/or pumps, except that I'm only interested to hear about ones that are moving water around inside one tank, not pumps, for example, that return water from the sump or another tank.

I know there are all different kinds/brands that work differently.

So, kindly tell me this:

1. What kind do you have (brand/type/how much water do they move) and how big is the tank they're in?

2. How do they work? (is the cord submersible or is the cord outside the tank while the powerhead is inside or anything else.

3. Do you do anything to cover/shield the intake?

4. Do you run them manually? timer? controller?

5. Photos would be great too.

Thanks!

K-Philly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to hear about your powerheads and/or pumps, except that I'm only interested to hear about ones that are moving water around inside one tank, not pumps, for example, that return water from the sump or another tank.

So, kindly tell me this:

1. What kind do you have (brand/type/how much water do they move) and how big is the tank they're in?

2. How do they work? (is the cord submersible or is the cord outside the tank while the powerhead is inside or anything else.

Thanks!
  1. Tunze/Comline Wavebox 6208/Not to sure, because it creates natural waves across my entire tank./72x18x17 (100g)
  2. The "box" has an immersion depth of roughly 9.1" and everything is pretty much water proof, except the controller. The box itself houses a Turbelle Nanostream 6055 powerhead, also designed by Tunze. It runs off a DC system which allows the power-head to move it's propeller in a forward motion and a reverse motion. Creating a push pull method inside the box, thus giving us a wave.
  3. Everything comes housed in the "box" and can be accessed from the top by opening the cover.
  4. They can be run manually by selecting different presets on an included simple controller or they can be linked to more complex controllers such as Apex. Here they can be synced with feedings, acclimation, maintenance (such as simulating a storm to get debris off of the bottom of the aquarium or cut off for a temporary time for in-take cleaning) and for daytime/nighttime cycle (such as lowering the intensity of the wave when blue lights come on to simulate a more calm and natural night period in the ocean).

Here is a video of me way back when playing with it during an initial install.

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, kindly tell me this:

Thanks!
Currently using a pair of Neptune Wavs. They are controlled by an Apex with flow changing throughout the day in a 105 gallon SPS tank. The entire unit sits inside the tank unfortunately, with no additional covers other than what comes with them.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back