For Free! Have you ever gotten anything for free in the hobby?

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rejoined multiple fish for free in addition to more than a few corals that were either unhappy or almost gone come back and flourished. All for free. Currently I have a free clown and Kenya tree I got from a coworker

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rejoined multiple fish for free in addition to more than a few corals that were either unhappy or almost gone come back and flourished. All for free. Currently I have a free clown and Kenya tree I got from a coworker
Rehomed

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free....i almost spit my drink out!!!
Like @Miami Reef said I'm very grateful for the knowledge I've gotten from everyone here but unfortunately everything else has drained the account...lol
Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

Rabidbeast666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best four letters words to a lot of people is the word free. We love free stuff since we don't have to pay for it, haha. I am wondering what is something you have gotten for free in the hobby? Maybe it was a free frag you still have, a free tank someone didn't want anymore, or maybe you got a free piece of equipment for entering a raffle. Curious to know what everyone says!
Advice

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have received a lot of stuff for free and have given away a lot of stuff for free. Although it seems like that was a lot more common in the past, to me that is part of the hobby and part of the reef community. Karma wins!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been incredibly lucky and humbled by the generosity of some of the vendors. I have won free corals from 4 different vendors, several of those multiple times. Some of them have been by winning contests and some have just been for participating in their sale threads.
I have won two Noopsyche lights, a Tunze ATO, and a Tunze algae scraper from giveaways.
There was a fellow hobbyist who gave me his old Red Sea Max S400 tank along with everything that came with it, including a heater and Bubble King skimmer. All it cost me was the time and gas to go get it.

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a GHL stand alone doser from
BRS along with ro filters and such. Was crazy.

It was a few years ago. You put stuff in your shopping cart that equaled like $600 and they picked people at random who won their cart for free. I remember watching them live and I almost died. They did it by filling a box with the items in the cart BEFORE revealing who won. When I saw the doser and all the filter socks and stuff I couldn’t believe it. I knew it was my order.

Mine was at 23:23

BRS Giveaway

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On the topic of free, give me a follow @coralyourworld on insta for a chance to win a custom frag rack. Hoping to be able to give back quite a bit once I have greater reach.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see, corals from fellow reefers, a nifty package of nem guards and other goodies another reefing friend sent, a 4 stage RODI from said same person , a pH 6 in one tester in a contest, Acclimation Box from the Supporter monthly contest, a Harlequin Shrimp in a box of CUC I ordered, lots of GC during live sales, various hitch hikers on live rock( the coolest being a pencil urchin and a rose coral), and the help and support I’ve gotten from others here on R2R especially when just starting out.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see, corals from fellow reefers, a nifty package of nem guards and other goodies another reefing friend sent, a 4 stage RODI from said same person , a pH 6 in one tester in a contest, Acclimation Box from the Supporter monthly contest, a Harlequin Shrimp in a box of CUC I ordered, lots of GC during live sales, various hitch hikers on live rock( the coolest being a pencil urchin and a rose coral), and the help and support I’ve gotten from others here on R2R especially when just starting out.
Cool that you got a pencil urchin and rose coral!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best four letters words to a lot of people is the word free. We love free stuff since we don't have to pay for it, haha. I am wondering what is something you have gotten for free in the hobby? Maybe it was a free frag you still have, a free tank someone didn't want anymore, or maybe you got a free piece of equipment for entering a raffle. Curious to know what everyone says!
Yes I got a Green Sinularia leather for from from the owner of my LFS. I watched them rip it off of the biggest piece of leather coral I have ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.jpeg
    IMG_1038.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 18

plutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend gave me A beautiful large green hammer coral. Probably a dozen heads on it. Had it about a year and it died
because I was new in the hobby and didn’t have a clue as to what I needed to do to save it.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few more freebies that I’ve gotten. All these corals . A from the same person

Attachments

• IMG_2556.jpeg
    IMG_2556.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2500.jpeg
    IMG_2500.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0806.jpeg
    IMG_0806.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 17

srawnc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of advice, nada. BUT that being said if anyone is overrun with GSP I'll gladly take it. Kidding! Advice has been king in my book simply because the only fish I've ever cared for was a betta in a bowl. Completely clueless until I started my first tank 2 years ago.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I started this hobby back in the 80's and when I started finding others in my area in the hobby I soon learned it was pretty common to send visitors home with something from your own tanks.
At first I didn't have much to share, but after things started growing I soon did.
There were a few people I met with large and multiple systems that would send me home with several bags of new corals. Sometimes these weren't just frags, but colonies.

I've received free gifts from a few vendors.
Ecotech
Bulk Reef Supply
Barrier Reef Aquariums
Saltwater City

I've won multiple prizes from various raffles I've entered. Not sure that counts as free. Raffle tickets were bought.
Radion XR 30 gen 1
Coral Care gen 2 fixtures x 2
and others I don't remember right now.
Plus all the private buyers I bought corals from who add in freebies.
Way too many to list

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back