For Free! Have you ever gotten anything for free in the hobby?

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got this little toadstool for free. It was growing on a frag rack at the store I bought my tank from. It pays to get to know managers of your local LFS.
image.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a Kessil H380 from BRS giveaway years ago.
I’ve always wondered if somebody actually won something from them lol… I find it super annoying I can’t go to the site without a pop up asking to be in a give away…

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered if somebody actually won something from them lol… I find it super annoying I can’t go to the site without a pop up asking to be in a give away…
It was like 6 years ago. I've since traded that light away, but it was stupid powerful. Bad thing about that was it didn't have a dimmer.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From other hobbyists I’ve received:

Aqua C Skimmer
14 or so head hammer
Various other corals
Not free but some incredible deals on equipment and other corals

From Vendors:

@Battlecorals - various frags and gift certificates
@AquaSD - various frags and gift certificates
@Bulk Reef Supply - various chili bucks
@SBB Corals - one or two gift cards
@WestCoastCorals - a gift card

I’m sure I am leaving stuff out but that’s what I can currently recall

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have. I’ve been on the receiving end of the kindness of a few experienced reefers and I hope I can one day pay that forward and I also won a couple of small items from my local reef club’s raffle and that was super cool. I’m glad I paid membership fees so that I’m helping support them back.

I never expect such generosity, but I’m grateful for it and I hope one day to be in a position where I can give to other newer reefers!
If you get to that point or are at that point. I am building a nano reef tank for my long term residents if you would like to donate anything to the build I have an amazon wish list for the build and am in need of testing supplies if you would like to help out. if not its no big deal I'm just one person trying to build something nice for a group of people. Just looking to call upon the reef2reef army to see if anyone could help out. here's the amazon link. https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3570CDTMQL0U4?ref_=wl_share
and here is the Build Thread if you want to follow and see how its going. also I have pledged that anything that is donated will be paid forward if the build has to be taken down for any reason.

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't received free stuff but I like to give away stuff. Anything from corals, aquariums to macna stuff. Sometimes its such a hassle to sell anything. I'm always thinking I'll meet a new reefer buddy but they just want the free stuff, lol. Anyway I still preffer to give it away from free if i can. Its always better to give then receive
I am trying to build up a reef tank for my long-term care residents but it's something I have to do out of my own pocket. So I've been searching for ways to cut costs and I saw that you said you had some things that you might be interested in donating to someone. not sure what you have but if there is anything I could use would you be interested in donating it to a good cause? If not no big deal if so I'll say that if for any reason this tank has to be taken down I will donate it back to the reef2reef community. Let me know and I'll send you an address. Here's a link to my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r...draising-build-for-elderly-residents.1029458/
I also have an Amazon wish list if you know of anyone who might be interested in helping out. https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3570CDTMQL0U4?ref_=wl_share I have started this as a nano tank for now but would like to eventually grow it into a 40 to 60-gallon reef tank. so anything will be helpful. Thank you for the consideration also where in Michigan do you live I would love a reefing buddy lol I am from Eaton Rapids MI.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent £400 on two chalice & some snails once at my LFS & grabbed a packet of frozen mysis at the check out.
The guy at till said "don't worry.the foods on us!"

Definitely the kind of guy to sell you a car & then slap the roof as you drive off.
Kind gesture though :face-with-tears-of-joy:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the best four letters words to a lot of people is the word free. We love free stuff since we don't have to pay for it, haha. I am wondering what is something you have gotten for free in the hobby? Maybe it was a free frag you still have, a free tank someone didn't want anymore, or maybe you got a free piece of equipment for entering a raffle. Curious to know what everyone says!
I got given a Mandarin for free from my LFS, that guy is still thriving in my nano 6 months later!
IMG_9010.jpeg

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got given a Mandarin for free from my LFS, that guy is still thriving in my nano 6 months later!
IMG_9010.jpeg
That's pretty cool they gave you a mandarin for free!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty cool they gave you a mandarin for free!
I knew the guy for a while and also it was my first week working there, I was willing to buy it but got given it as a Thankyou.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back