For Kessil Users...Dead Light that will only strobe once: Troubleshooting & less expensive solution

How long has your kessil light lasted?

• Total voters

lessismore84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my kessil A360WE is about 4 years old. It started to act strange.

The Problem: In its last couple weeks, it wouldnt turn on at scheduled time. I would unplug it. Leave it alone for about 10 minutes then plug it back in and everything was ok. Did this on 3 occasions. Then it finally died completely. Unplug it, wait, plug back in, nothing with controller plugged in. Controller unplugged it will just strobe once when intensity knob is turned and then stays off.

My Maintenance: compressed air, wipe down, and lense cleaning every week or more if needed.

Contacting company: first response from Kessil was a link to a video for trouble shooting the light and contact them with serial number after if the video did not resolve problem.

Company trouble shooting: in short the video says equipment maintenance is the cause of all trouble. All the video says to do is to wipe it out with a clean dry clothe.

Companys response: sorry trouble shooting did not work , and there nothing they can due since its no longer under the factory warranty. They offered "$50 evaluation fee and repairing fee has a based cost of $50 for minor reworking, plus $29.99 shipping". At $130 its best to just invest in a new light.

Cheaper replacement: while i search the web for solutions to my problem before contacting kessil. I came across a post, the person said kessil offered a one time discounted light at $250. So in my last email since they didnt offer me the discount.....
"Do you think it can be fixed? I was actually about to upgrade my tank and buy a 2nd a360we. But if i have to buy two new ones im probably going to go with a radion xr30.
Your thoughts on the non working A360we?"

Companys' response: "
We'd be happy to offer you a one-time discounted new light, which will come with a two-year warranty, for the price of $250.
Feel free to let me know if you have questions.

(510) 620-5250
[email protected]"

Conclusion: Good company, no complaints other then i wish the light lasted longer then 4 years. No visual damage or salt creep inside light. With a little effort you can get a brand new kessil A360WE for $250 if yours dies regardless of if its under warranty. No company likes to lose business to a competitor. $250 beats $350.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's unfortunate :( usually with regular maintenance they last quite a bit. I've had my AP700 now for 9 months, but before that I had a pair of a360s for 2 1/2 years with no issues. And to my knowledge the person I sold them to still has them going strong. But I agree kessils customer service is amazing and it's awesome that they were willing to offer you a deal on a new light :)

OP
OP
L

lessismore84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad it happened when it did. I had a budget for 1 new additional light and a tank. But not two lights and a tank. I got 1 light 10% off online and the $250 light from kessil. So $570 for 2 brand new A360WEs. I thought about Radion but didnt want to give up the kessil shimmer. Now im saving for a tank, i thought about a new build but my wife likes the way the Red Sea reefer 250 looks. So thats what it will be.lol

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what it looks like inside. My A360s are three years old now and even though I blow them out every couple of months, they were getting nasty inside. I tore them all the way down a couple of days ago and got them nice and clean again. The fans are substantially quieter post maintenance. Wish I had taken pics of the guts, there were a lot of dust bunnies in the heatsink that werent visible from the outside.

OP
OP
L

lessismore84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i had some dust bunnies in the heat sink too, plus a lady bug. Whatever shorted in mine has to do with the intensity knob and/or power.

With intensity set to zero and not hooked up to my controller, as soon as i slightly turn the knob. There is a single blink/strobe and then its dead again. Then its completely dead for 10 mins. So maybe a resistor shorted. The boards were pretty clean. No visible shorts. Without a circuit diagram i didnt bother searching for the short in detail.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how people have ended up settling for 1 year warranties across almost all the industries, but if a manufacturer has such low faith in their product then it shouldn't carry a premium price.

Wiz Khareefa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my kessil A360WE is about 4 years old. It started to act strange.

The Problem: In its last couple weeks, it wouldnt turn on at scheduled time. I would unplug it. Leave it alone for about 10 minutes then plug it back in and everything was ok. Did this on 3 occasions. Then it finally died completely. Unplug it, wait, plug back in, nothing with controller plugged in. Controller unplugged it will just strobe once when intensity knob is turned and then stays off.

My Maintenance: compressed air, wipe down, and lense cleaning every week or more if needed.

Contacting company: first response from Kessil was a link to a video for trouble shooting the light and contact them with serial number after if the video did not resolve problem.

Company trouble shooting: in short the video says equipment maintenance is the cause of all trouble. All the video says to do is to wipe it out with a clean dry clothe.

Companys response: sorry trouble shooting did not work , and there nothing they can due since its no longer under the factory warranty. They offered "$50 evaluation fee and repairing fee has a based cost of $50 for minor reworking, plus $29.99 shipping". At $130 its best to just invest in a new light.

Cheaper replacement: while i search the web for solutions to my problem before contacting kessil. I came across a post, the person said kessil offered a one time discounted light at $250. So in my last email since they didnt offer me the discount.....
"Do you think it can be fixed? I was actually about to upgrade my tank and buy a 2nd a360we. But if i have to buy two new ones im probably going to go with a radion xr30.
Your thoughts on the non working A360we?"

Companys' response: "
We'd be happy to offer you a one-time discounted new light, which will come with a two-year warranty, for the price of $250.
Feel free to let me know if you have questions.

(510) 620-5250
[email protected]"

Conclusion: Good company, no complaints other then i wish the light lasted longer then 4 years. No visual damage or salt creep inside light. With a little effort you can get a brand new kessil A360WE for $250 if yours dies regardless of if its under warranty. No company likes to lose business to a competitor. $250 beats $350.

Did you have to ship them the old unit?

OP
OP
L

lessismore84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it was not an exchange. Just a one time discounted price since my warranty had expired.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a dead out of warranty and they tested it and then offered me the $250.00 replacement and I took it. So my total was $250.00. Very happy with the company and its policy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back