For the love of a marine biotope.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great deal of admiration (and some envy) for the artfully aquascaped DTs that are often posted in Reef2Reef. Multicolored Acros and multiple genera of SPS corals wonderfully maintained are indeed a thing of beauty.
But, I am more drawn to marine aquariums that actually look like a reef. I have spent literally hundreds of hours diving on tropical reefs and for the most part they look nothing like pristine works of art, yet they are beautiful in their own chaotic way. Many reef areas are monotonous with single species of hard or soft corals dominating a large area. One would have to look hard for small patches of interest. Other areas are truly a jumble of mixed life amongst patches of seemingly bare rock. (If one gets really close these bare areas are teaming with micro life.) One thing we really miss in our systems are sponges, because they are hard to keep. But they are in every nook and cranny on a thriving reef; some tearing down corals, others offering habitat.
The fish that actually live "in" the reef, and are not passing by grazers, all have an apparent purpose. They spend most of their time just out in the open rarely venturing far.
My present RS 425XL is a hodgepodge of stuff just growing and in no way looks manicured. I may go days without seeing some of the inhabitants.
This got me wondering if people who have spent time diving on reefs are more likely to try and recreate a "biotope" as opposed to an aquascaped work of art.

So show your tanks and give a little history about any experience you have had on reefs. Do you try to replicate what you have seen in the wild?
20200127_Zoo_162355_1518.jpg

One year this week.

Last edited:

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love biotope aquariums as well. For my reef, I was aiming for more of an idea or flavor of a boomie reef, not as constrained as some biotopes. I am theming it around the Indo Pacific region though.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love biotope aquariums as well. For my reef, I was aiming for more of an idea or flavor of a boomie reef, not as constrained as some biotopes. I am theming it around the Indo Pacific region though.
I think a big square tank would be great for that, with a central rock base rising to a pinnacle, to the surface.

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a big square tank would be great for that, with a central rock base rising to a pinnacle, to the surface.
Oh very close - I imagine the pinnacle just a bit under the surface, to allow some SPS up top to grow. I have this crazy idea of using a giant clam as the basis for corals to grow on, on it's shell. So the giant clam itself, is it's own boomie.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back