So for 1st hand experience, I bought a bottle of all for reef, but have never used it. Can you tell me of do's or don't's about it?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All For Reef. That's the only additive I use in any case!
So for 1st hand experience, I bought a bottle of all for reef, but have never used it. Can you tell me of do's or don't's about it? Can it be used while other additives are being used? Just some curiosities I have about before diving in. I am a fan of Tropic marin in general.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best advice I can give is have your core 3 parameters where you want them prior to starting AFR. Once you start follow the directions. You will almost never have to dose cal, alk, or mag again once you get AFR dialed in. Good stuff in my opinion.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for 1st hand experience, I bought a bottle of all for reef, but have never used it. Can you tell me of do's or don't's about it? Can it be used while other additives are being used? Just some curiosities I have about before diving in. I am a fan of Tropic marin in general.
There are a lot of threads talking about AFR dosing. One of the issues with AFR is that it's hard to keep ALK up with just AFR, so it is best to figure out how much you need to keep everything stable first, set your desired ALK level with something else, then get the AFR going to keep it steady. I just use AFR, but it can get a bit pricey once coral consumption really picks up.

The nice thing about AFR is that it is a complete supplement, so you get basically everything. I'm sure you can be more picky about levels of trace elements if you like, but for me it seems to do the trick by itself. So even if I switch to a different supplement to keep ALK up, I'll probably still use AFR to some degree.

One of the don'ts with AFR: don't measure ALK right after dosing. It doesn't have an immediate effect on ALK. You can measure Calcium instead to see immediate effects. At least that's my understanding, but I'd spend some time on the Randy Holmes Farley theads to read up on it.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of threads talking about AFR dosing. One of the issues with AFR is that it's hard to keep ALK up with just AFR, so it is best to figure out how much you need to keep everything stable first, set your desired ALK level with something else, then get the AFR going to keep it steady. I just use AFR, but it can get a bit pricey once coral consumption really picks up.

The nice thing about AFR is that it is a complete supplement, so you get basically everything. I'm sure you can be more picky about levels of trace elements if you like, but for me it seems to do the trick by itself. So even if I switch to a different supplement to keep ALK up, I'll probably still use AFR to some degree.

One of the don'ts with AFR: don't measure ALK right after dosing. It doesn't have an immediate effect on ALK. You can measure Calcium instead to see immediate effects. At least that's my understanding, but I'd spend some time on the Randy Holmes Farley theads to read up on it.
Thank you for such detailed info. So, currently I use Sea Chem reef carbonate for alk. Do you think I could use that in conjunction with the All For Reef?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for such detailed info. So, currently I use Sea Chem reef carbonate for alk. Do you think I could use that in conjunction with the All For Reef?
My plan is to eventually use a separate supplement for ALK in combination with AFR. I think the trick is making the change slowly and monitoring your ALK levels as you adjust. Go too hard on the AFR all at once and ALK is probably going to shoot up from your Sea Chem Reef Carbonate, because the corals are gradually using AFR's ALK, whilst the other supplements are dumping it all in at once. So in your case, I would probably start adding small amounts of AFR, see how the ALK levels go. If they start rising, scale back slightly on the Sea Chem. Raise AFR a bit, check, scale back Sea Chem, and repeat until you're at a happy place with your Sea Chem to AFR ratio. As things grow, you'll probably have to increase both gradually.

That's my plan at least. My 40gal is already burning through ~60mL of AFR a day, so I may need to work on a change soon!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes anywhere from 3-24hrs to be able to see effects. I use it and tested alk while starting about 24hrs later. I hand dose daily at about 6pm which is the mid day of my reef. I am currently dosing 20ml a day. I had gone to weekly testing but seems everytime I do that consumption changes and I am a little low. I think I am going to test every 3 days from now on. Yes you can use other supplements but I would be careful to not spike your alk with doubling up a dose. People use kalk while dosing afr. Good info from @JoJosReef check out randys forum for more info.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to eventually use a separate supplement for ALK in combination with AFR. I think the trick is making the change slowly and monitoring your ALK levels as you adjust. Go too hard on the AFR all at once and ALK is probably going to shoot up from your Sea Chem Reef Carbonate, because the corals are gradually using AFR's ALK, whilst the other supplements are dumping it all in at once. So in your case, I would probably start adding small amounts of AFR, see how the ALK levels go. If they start rising, scale back slightly on the Sea Chem. Raise AFR a bit, check, scale back Sea Chem, and repeat until you're at a happy place with your Sea Chem to AFR ratio. As things grow, you'll probably have to increase both gradually.

That's my plan at least. My 40gal is already burning through ~60mL of AFR a day, so I may need to work on a change soon!
Awesome! Thank you

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back