For those dosing Potassium Nitrate

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear many on these forums are dosing Nitrates to maintain corals well “fed?”. I can’t get my Nitrates up. Corals are growing slowly but growing. Colors are reasonable. But ZERO polyp extension.

I bought some potassium nitrate (not stump remover). In another thread this calculator was recommended. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

Question is how many ppm per day/ weekly are you dosing. Or even where do you start?

Where did you buy it from?

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one says technical use only. I don’t know if it’s safe for our application or not. The one I posted is what RHF recommends

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does this look correct to you? I put in the amounts being my system is overall 300 gallons and adding 1 teaspoon to approximately 2 gallons of water dosing at 40ml every 2 hours. My plan is to add the potassium nitrate to my Bubble Magus Kalk Stirrer chamber that is constantly fed by my RO. This way each time my kalk doses 40ml every 2 hours it will also replenish the nitrates and I can adjust as needed over the next couple weeks of testing. Or maybe I'm entirely wrong and my theory is an absolute cause for disaster. Sounds good though!

Oh and my kalk stirrer runs (stirs) once a day for 40 seconds and then settles for 4 hours before dosing kalk.

Calculated Nitrate.PNG

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator assumes that a teaspoon of KNO3 weighs 6 grams. That sounds reasonable, but I would certainly check it. Or just use an accurate scale and grams. When I do the math assuming 6 g/teaspoon, I get 0.017 ppm nitrate boost for the tank size, concentration and dose you describe. So assuming no consumption, the most this should increase your nitrate level is 0.20 ppm/day. And you probably won't see anything close to that. Seems safe enough to me.

Edit: My only concern is whether potassium nitrate might interact with calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate in your kalk reactor. It's probably a simple question but my freshman chemistry is very rusty.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calculator assumes that a teaspoon of KNO3 weighs 6 grams. That sounds reasonable, but I would certainly check it. Or just use an accurate scale and grams. When I do the math assuming 6 g/teaspoon, I get 0.017 ppm nitrate boost for the tank size, concentration and dose you describe. So assuming no consumption, the most this should increase your nitrate level is 0.20 ppm/day. And you probably won't see anything close to that. Seems safe enough to me.

Cool, it just came in now so I'm going to give it a go as a starting point and test tomorrow. How are you making out as far as response? Seeing any results as of yet? I'm so curious to see if this helps my corals.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: My only concern is whether potassium nitrate might interact with calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate in your kalk reactor. It's probably a simple question but my freshman chemistry is very rusty.

Nothing blew up, lol. So far no difference and 0 reading as always.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one says technical use only. I don’t know if it’s safe for our application or not. The one I posted is what RHF recommends

Call me crazy or just plain wishful but this morning after adding this potassium nitrate last night my SPS are all showing feeders and my Goniopora is waving in the flow for the first time in a month. I added roughly a 1/2 teaspoon to my kalk stirrer and 1/2 teaspoon to my sump. I'll keep monitoring but as of now it appears that this is creating a positive response.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back