Nitrate dosing recommendation

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley i have seen recommendations about dosing no more than 1ppm of nitrate per day. If i have for ex 1 ppm nitrate and i dosed enough product like neo nitro or whatever alternative. What is the main issue adding 5 ppm of nitrate right away. I have seen some sps start to stn, even rtn. What causes this and hoe come if you can help educate me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have made that 1 ppm recommendation. I'd start at 2 ppm per day (if dosing nitrate) and adjust up or down from there as needed to attain your target level. You may need considerably more. Starting at 5 ppm is also fine.

I recommend N dosing with food grade sodium or calcium nitrate or ammonium chloride or bicarbonate.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have made that 1 ppm recommendation. I'd start at 2 ppm per day (if dosing nitrate) and adjust up or down from there as needed to attain your target level. You may need considerably more. Starting at 5 ppm is also fine.

I recommend N dosing with food grade sodium or calcium nitrate or ammonium chloride or bicarbonate.
Thank you for the reply. I never would have imagined low Nitrates even possible. How does that happen? They don't say anything about cycling at all

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I never would have imagined low Nitrates even possible. How does that happen? They don't say anything about cycling at all

It just means that the consumption by organisms is higher than the rate of addition via foods. ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back