For those stuck at home for the foreseeable future, how is it impacting your reef tank(s)?

For those stuck at home for the foreseeable future, how is it impacting your reef tank(s)?

• I'm spending extra time maintaining/caring for my tank

Votes: 76 46.9%
  • I'm working on a new build

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I'm just spending more time viewing/enjoying my tank

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • No change from normal

Votes: 25 15.4%
  • I'm spending less time maintaining/caring for my tank

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I'm shutting down my tank

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is social distancing impacting your reefing time?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, now that I'm homeschooling 2 girls under 4 and my wife is working out of the home office for 16 hours a day (her biotech company just laid off 60% of staff so her hours are up) I'm only getting about 2 x 20 minutes in the fishroom and QT area a day. I have a tomini tang in QT right now, plus I only just re-set up my 20long coral QT two weeks ago. But it's staying empty because we have no real idea what's going to happen in the next month and don't want to make rash decisions regarding financials or livestock we can't properly care for.

I was planning on 7 dispar anthia, 4 springers damsels, a few dragonetts and a couple flasher wrasses to finish stocking my tank. All that is now on hold.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we allowed to discuss that? o_O :D

My tanks are getting better care than ever, haha. Taking care of some small aptasia, did a full de-corraline attack using a razor in one of my tanks, used vinegar on overflow teeth + flow nozzles + frag racks in another tank, etc. Also working on plenty of small tank-related projects that involve 3D printing and arduino!

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm spending too much time maintaining ? Small tweaks and maybe chasing down nutrients and issues which is cascading to more issues more purchases and less polyp extension.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we allowed to discuss that? o_O :D

My tanks are getting better care than ever, haha. Taking care of some small aptasia, did a full de-corraline attack using a razor in one of my tanks, used vinegar on overflow teeth + flow nozzles + frag racks, etc.

Yes, I'm aware of the R2R policy, but I personally think this is a legitimate question.

Question for you: When you scrape coraline, do you remove it from the tank or just let it settle on the sand/bottom of the tank?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm aware of the R2R policy, but I personally think this is a legitimate question.

Question for you: When you scrape coraline, do you remove it from the tank or just let it settle on the sand/bottom of the tank?

Oh I just let it settle. Thin sheets of coralline break apart into what I would consider "sand" pretty quickly, especially when you mix up the sand as often as I do :)

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running out of things to clean, can I scrub my fishes with a tooth brush?

Do you have any cleaner shrimp? Mine are constantly trying to reach out to the fish as they swim past but the fish just avoid them. You'd think the fish would enjoy a good cleaning!

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know those little pieces of skin that lift up by your nails? How would you feel if a random person on the street ran up and tried to pull them off lol? I'd imagine that's what it's like.
Do you have any cleaner shrimp? Mine are constantly trying to reach out to the fish as they swim past but the fish just avoid them. You'd think the fish would enjoy a good cleaning!

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I just let it settle. Thin sheets of coralline break apart into what I would consider "sand" pretty quickly, especially when you mix up the sand as often as I do :)

I had let the coraline build up for over a year, and when I finally scraped it off the back glass it came off in huge chunks that I removed:

IMG_7196.thumb.jpg.380af6db1fcfaa7be938b1b538ef6364.jpg

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my fish think the cleaner shrimp is nuts anyways, his latest thing is hanging upside down on the return nozzle. So they just politely stay away.

as for the tank, way more attention and testing. Actually getting to see and enjoy my tank during the day while working. Finally getting around to cleanup wiring etc.

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get to continue working while my wife is at home with the kids and she is going stir crazy. I told her today I was gonna teach her how to clean fish tanks so she would have something to do all day. She didnt seem enthused

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish in the tank that lets the cleaner do his thing is a chalk bass. Nobody else wants anything to do with it. In fact, I'm waiting for it to not be able to make it out from walking over the nem one of these days and get eaten. He's getting bolder each day, moving further in toward the mouth and ever stickier tentacles.

Back