What equipment upgrade made the most impact on your tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During our time of having tanks, we will sometimes upgrade our equipment to something better. Maybe it is getting better lights, a better doser or maybe a better sump for our tank. I am wondering what equipment did you upgrade made the most impact on your tank. Curious to see what everyone says!

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Hydros across my farm system has helps tremendously. Originally installing wave engines (6 wave engines, and 2 WELE) helped me power over 20 icecap/maxspect gyres, multiple octo pulses, and multiple varios 2/4 accessory pumps with WAY less power bricks or pump controllers. Then with Kraken coming along, I have been able to even further reduce power supply clutter by powering all my wave engines off 1 kraken/1 power supply plus have over 24 hours of batter backup for all those pumps. In addition I have been able to run a second Kraken that powers all of my farm's Reef Brite XHO strips, again allowing me to consolidate 10s of power supplys down to 1 kraken supply. The clutter and wiring reduction has helped tremendously.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof this is a tough one. From a simplicity perspective the answer is ATO. Apex is probably the other one. Are the alarms annoying? Yes, absolutely, but it's also saved me so much heartache while traveling.
have to agree that an ATO is invaluable.
However, If i had to consider an ATO a necessary part of every reef tank and pick something that substantially improved the function of my system:
1) moving over to LEDs over my T5's. no more burn-in, no noticeable loss in growth and a very noticeable improvement in required maintenance.
2) ditching the gyres in favor of mp40's. gyres make for great flow... but only when they're clean and that falls apart in a week. MP40's flow hard months later.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oof this is a tough one. From a simplicity perspective the answer is ATO. Apex is probably the other one. Are the alarms annoying? Yes, absolutely, but it's also saved me so much heartache while traveling.
Couldn't agree more with an ATO

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex. I have three tanks on it. I use it for monitoring and controlling parameters, voice control actuations (with "Alexa"), and attribute my overall success to using it. I do not always have the time to do things manually, so this keeps my tanks in order along with my routine maintenance.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
During our time of having tanks, we will sometimes upgrade our equipment to something better. Maybe it is getting better lights, a better doser or maybe a better sump for our tank. I am wondering what equipment did you upgrade made the most impact on your tank. Curious to see what everyone says!
Proper lighting

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex. I have three tanks on it. I use it for monitoring and controlling parameters, voice control actuations (with "Alexa"), and attribute my overall success to using it. I do not always have the time to do things manually, so this keeps my tanks in order along with my routine maintenance.
Never knew you could do voice control with those!

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1for apex Neptune,expensive but could have saved me a fortune preventing a tank crash that happened losing corals and fish that are no longer available in uk

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew you could do voice control with those!
Yeah, the Alexa has an app for it. I can start feed cycles, turn on/off things, get tank status, etc. It's handy when feeding the fish and doing maintenance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back