Forced Clownfish Anemone Symbiosis

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Does anyone know a way to get their clownfish to host an anemone. I’ve had a green bubble tip anemone for about a month now and my two clownfish don’t even get close to it and always stay in the back of the tank. I’ve tried reorganizing my live rock and adding a new fish to make the clownfish feel unsafe but that has been unsuccessful. Please tell me what you guys have done to get the clownfish closet to the anemone. Side question, is a Aquaillumination Hydra 26 HD good enough for the anemone?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience mostly. Dropping clown food near the anemone so they have to swim close to it might help. If you are desperate, check out Melev's Reef video on how he got his clowns to host. He used a giant clear tube, poured his clownfish in at the top and placed the bottom end such that they had to swim to it.

Mine took about 3 weeks to find the nem on their own. They never previously swam near the part of the tank the anemone ended up, but eventually found it and now it's their home.

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Does anyone know a way to get their clownfish to host an anemone. I’ve had a green bubble tip anemone for about a month now and my two clownfish don’t even get close to it and always stay in the back of the tank. I’ve tried reorganizing my live rock and adding a new fish to make the clownfish feel unsafe but that has been unsuccessful. Please tell me what you guys have done to get the clownfish closet to the anemone. Side question, is a Aquaillumination Hydra 26 HD good enough for the anemone?

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it alone. Mine took MONTHS to bond but once they did they are inseparable. First the smaller male found the bubble nem then the female kicked him out and took over. Just be patient which is the part of this hobby that makes it fulfilling when you are. "Put your hand into the tank and feel the Queen's Greeting"
IMG_3239.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
InCodWeTrust

InCodWeTrust

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
Leave it alone. Mine took MONTHS to bond but once they did they are inseparable. First the smaller male found the bubble nem then the female kicked him out and took over. Just be patient which is the part of this hobby that makes it fulfilling when you are.
IMG_3239.JPG
Ok, thanks for the input!

OnyxPerc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got my newest clowns & nem to host by putting them together in a small basket. It took the clowns about an hour to muster the courage to go in, but I honestly was prepared to leave them in there for a few weeks. I'm attaching a pic of the basket I used - it was homemade out of egg crate and tie wraps.

MelevsReef has a video where he uses a clear tube to release the clowns directly in the anemone. It seemed to work really well.

Your Hydra 26 HD should be plenty of light for the nem, but it really depends on how big the tank is.

20190716_175658.jpg

Attachments

• Photos.zip
    42 MB · Views: 88

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back