Forktail Blenny aggression

KMCA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a forktail blenny recently and while his first couple days were relaxed, showing no aggression to anything. Today at feeding time he suddenly became aggressive. He ignored the food, even when dropped in front of him (both pellet and flakes) and started hunting (and eating) the tube worms, attacking his reflection and tried to bite the eye stock of a conch.

Is this behavior normal for them and since he seems only interested in live prey am I going to have to look into feeding him pods?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I picked up a forktail blenny recently and while his first couple days were relaxed, showing no aggression to anything. Today at feeding time he suddenly became aggressive. He ignored the food, even when dropped in front of him (both pellet and flakes) and started hunting (and eating) the tube worms, attacking his reflection and tried to bite the eye stock of a conch.

Is this behavior normal for them and since he seems only interested in live prey am I going to have to look into feeding him pods?
Isolate it for BBC a few days in an acclimation box or sump
Change its hiding scape around also

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you tried frozen food instead of pellets and flakes? I have dwarf puffers in my FW tank that came only wanting to eat live -- while I still give them bladder snails now and then they have adapted to eating frozen bloodworms and Rod's FW small mouth blend. They wouldn't even think a pellet or flake was food.

Edit, I also have a talispot that ignores pellets -- he eats Rod's food and Easy Masstick.

OP
OP
KMCA

KMCA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isolate it for BBC
Change its hiding scape around also
BBC?

Ha! He seems distrustful of rocks, I even built a new cave for him and he won't go in it (or under any outcropping.) However he likes to cozy up vertically in the corner under the returns when the lights go out.
I get that fang blennys are more into swimming but this guy seems outright scared of rocks keeping 2-3 body lengths away from them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back