Forum Purchase Dilemma Please Help

Orangezuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All, I need some input.

[Please let me preface this, that this is not a "knock" against the seller he has been awesome and we have easily worked on any of the issues that fave arose in this sale]

Bought a skimmer on the forum and the deal has gone wonky
(not the sellers issue, he and I have worked great) I'll explain...
The situation; I was looking for a new skimmer as I'm re-setting my 92g corner tank. I was pretty set on a Skimz sn143 DC internal. The ever searching guy I am came across a old post here selling a Reef Octopus Diablo 200ext for 150$. Cool, I say to myself, big for the tank but controllable, gotta make a new stand ect. ect. I can make this work.
Make contact get the particulars. Informed that a new impeller would be a good idea, all the good info that was included in the post. I do some research find the parts. I'll get the skimmer then order the impeller BadaBing done deal. PM's sent & Deal made.
A testament to a great seller! The skimmer comes, it's missing a minor part and unfortunately it got damaged on the way. Seller immediately cures the situation, orders new parts shipped to me for the fix. All the parts come in wrong (not the sellers fault) No worries I say, back and forth with the supplier and correct parts figured out. While I'm at it I'll get that impeller. NOPE, unavailable & close to unattainable anywhere else. If I do get the one I can out of Canada what do i do if one's needed later. Buy a new updated 300$ pump says the supplier, when a new skimmer is in there outlet for 350$. I just want to be able to use my equipment for years, not worry if it's soon regulated to the garbage can.
So here's the rub. With all the back and forth for parts and what not the seller has offered to take the skimmer back. I want to do good by him, he has been great in this taking care of the damaged parts. A big part of this is on me in my eyes (not making sure that impeller was mine for the taking)

options:
1-Send the skimmer back>I'm out 60$(I offered to ship to get because it was "good deal", I'll ship back)
2-Keep & new impeller 250$(waiting to see if I can get from canada & hope the pump lasts)
3-Keep & new pump 480$(new skimmer with updated pump is 350)

Sorry this is the short version, believe me. LOL
Input is greatly appreciated.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!
Really don't want to put any input here as I know you will make the right decision.

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd go with option 4 :)

most equipment makers like reef octopus don't make all their own components, they buy in some parts, like the pumps and rebadge them ;)

check out jebao / jecod pumps, they look identical to me, and they are cheaper!!!! so maybe get spare parts from them or a new pump.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said is the reason I like Lifereef as I can put any pump on there I want.
Before I had the Vectra a used the danner mag pumps, 1800 gallons of awesomeness for $89 can't beat that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Orangezuk

Orangezuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd go with option 4 :)

most equipment makers like reef octopus don't make all their own components, they buy in some parts, like the pumps and rebadge them ;)

check out jebao / jecod pumps, they look identical to me, and they are cheaper!!!! so maybe get spare parts from them or a new pump.

Definitely have been looking for that. Was very impressed Reef octopus & Skimz both got back to me from Singapore, no solutions but nice to get a real response. I know I would be able to make something work.
Impeller is on the way from Canada so we're gonna give it a whirl.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 107 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back