Found “Whole Smelt” at Publix Supermarket Today— Same as Silversides?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at the fresh seafood counter at Publix today and they had “Whole Smelt” that look to me like a larger version of the frozen packages of Silversides sold at the LFS. Price-wise I think it worked out to about the same. (The heads were gone, which even my Clown Trigger, French Angel, large Wrasse and Emperor Angel used to have a problem with.) What do you all think— I can say for sure my fish enjoyed them! :)

1F9FDF60-E9C9-4307-AD2C-5F60DCA13753.jpeg
A16FDBB0-A79D-4ADB-8498-697ECE754885.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know the answer is technically both yes and no - smelts are technically not silversides from a taxonomy perspective (true smelts are in the order "Osmeriformes", marine "smelts" are in the order "Argentiniformes", and silversides are in the order "Atheriniformes"), but the marine smelts are widely accepted as and considered to be silversides from pretty much any other perspective. As mentioned, true smelts are freshwater, but other fish considered smelts are marine.

I don't know for sure, but given that true smelts are freshwater, I'd be a bit wary of feeding them with any sort of regularity (freshwater and saltwater fish typically have very different levels of protein and fat - I'm not sure about brackish fish, but I know some are fine and others are not ideal) - the marine smelts wouldn't give me any pause though.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could find smelt here in sw Virginia! Years ago I ground up smelt and beef heart to feed to my African Cichlids. My four Triggers would love some minced up smelt!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back