Found shells in tank?

rantipole

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2016
Messages
275
Reaction score
268
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I found these cool shells at the Jersey Shore. Could I put them in my tank? If so, how do I prep them?

Thanks!

Cheers,
rant

Shells South Amboy 061117.jpg
 
Not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but I just rinsed mine with some RO water and in they went :)
 
I wouldn't put anything in my tank from the Jersey shore

I am not sure what that means, lol...

However, putting items from the shores is risky. They could have pollutants, diseases or other contaminates.

Either way, I would QT it. First cycle it in a tub, and see what happens... Change 100% of the water, feed it a bit and let it sit for a week, then add a couple CUC members...
 
i wouldnt add it i tryed adding coral from fl my aunt had it for years and it became fossilized coral that leached to much calcium made water to hard but if you decide to i would bleach it and then rinse it realy good till bleach smell goes away
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new