Found this fish in with live rock

oool8899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this misc fish in with Liverock shipment finally caught him cause i think he got sick any id on his species?

20231115_160845.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killifish/sheepshead minnow. Someone makes a post about this exact thing every few months, I suppose there must be a few hanging around in some liverock wholesaler's storage tanks. As I recall from past posts, they are reef safe, can sometimes be on the aggressive side, and don't live too long.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a Mosquitofish (the mouth/head shape is wrong; in mosquitofish, the mouth would be slightly longer and up more by the top of the eye with less drop down from the top and a steeper rise from the bottom of the head - they do look remarkably similar to this though) and not a Sheepshead Minnow (the head is closer, but the coloration is wrong).

Both are very good guesses, though, as they (and Killifish, which I can't eliminate like the other possibilities listed because it actually refers to an enormous group of over 1,000 related species) both come from the taxonomic order Cyprinodontiformes.

This fish is for sure from that order, but I'm not sure what exactly it is.

Either way, they should be either peaceful or semi-aggressive, they should stay small, and they likely will die off pretty young.

Out of curiosity, how big is the fish currently?

Edit: Just to add, even narrowing it down to Killifish native to the US, there are still ~5 families of fish this could belong to, and I'm not familiar enough with each to narrow it further yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Found this misc fish in with Liverock shipment finally caught him cause i think he got sick any id on his species?

20231115_160845.jpg
Looks like a gambusia similar to the common guppy and will live in saltwater while a freshwater fish.

OP
OP
O

oool8899

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a Mosquitofish (the mouth/head shape is wrong; in mosquitofish, the mouth would be slightly longer and up more by the top of the eye with less drop down from the top and a steeper rise from the bottom of the head - they do look remarkably similar to this though) and not a Sheepshead Minnow (the head is closer, but the coloration is wrong).

Both are very good guesses, though, as they (and Killifish, which I can't eliminate like the other possibilities listed because it actually refers to an enormous group of over 1,000 related species) both come from the taxonomic order Cyprinodontiformes.

This fish is for sure from that order, but I'm not sure what exactly it is.

Either way, they should be either peaceful or semi-aggressive, they should stay small, and they likely will die off pretty young.

Out of curiosity, how big is the fish currently?

Edit: Just to add, even narrowing it down to Killifish native to the US, there are still ~5 families of fish this could belong to, and I'm not familiar enough with each to narrow it further yet.
Eh hes only about 2ish inches

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back