FOWLR Feeding Options

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an angel focused fowlr with a few wrasses as well. I do my best tofeed a large variety right now but looking for something a little cheaper, cleaner, and just as good for my evening frozen feeding. Morning feeds are NLS pellets and a sheet of nori. Evenings are LRS fish frenzy, which is what I'm trying to find alternatives for. It's good stuff, it's just expensive and there is so much wasted food in the tiny particles that cloud the tank that no one eats. In a 1x1" square of it, I'd say around 60% of it is eaten, the rest is too small and eventually it just clogs my filter socks. I'm not against making my own blend from hand. The only difficult part is finding a quality unaltered variety of different types of seafood food in the middle of Indiana. I'm not sure if it'll be any cheaper as well, but I do know it'll be a lot cleaner for the tank.

What is everyone else doing instead of LRS for frozen?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an angel focused fowlr with a few wrasses as well. I do my best tofeed a large variety right now but looking for something a little cheaper, cleaner, and just as good for my evening frozen feeding. Morning feeds are NLS pellets and a sheet of nori. Evenings are LRS fish frenzy, which is what I'm trying to find alternatives for. It's good stuff, it's just expensive and there is so much wasted food in the tiny particles that cloud the tank that no one eats. In a 1x1" square of it, I'd say around 60% of it is eaten, the rest is too small and eventually it just clogs my filter socks. I'm not against making my own blend from hand. The only difficult part is finding a quality unaltered variety of different types of seafood food in the middle of Indiana. I'm not sure if it'll be any cheaper as well, but I do know it'll be a lot cleaner for the tank.

What is everyone else doing instead of LRS for frozen?
Make your own:) and control what you are feeding.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef food recipe.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any human grade seafood is going to be a higher quality than anything in prepared fish food. Frozen stuff is good; I use scallops, squid, shrimp, clams. If you have an asian market you can get stuff really cheap; I get silver fish and smelt(which is silversides); a big bag for super cheap. Chop up into a variety of bite size chunks that will be appropriate to the size and type of fish you are feeding. For $20 you will feed your fish for months. I enrich it with Brightwell vitamin m and aminomega, For my tanks with angels I use the Brightwell angelixir, which has the nutrients found in sponges. I hand chop mine,

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back