FOWLR parameters/Triton ICP-OES test

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Triton ICP-OES test done and I'm a little confused about some of the results. Granted I'm definitely not an expert on what some of these levels should be for a FOWLR (with 1 duncan coral) tank. It's 180 Gallons. I'm wondering how accurate these are? I'm sure the measurements are throwing me off too.

Tin = 4.367 ug/liter (micrograms?) with a set point of .1 No idea how Tin would have gotten in the water
Aluminum = 72 ug/liter with set point of 2 Same question
Copper = 48 ug/liter with set point of .1 I've never dosed this tank. Wouldn't copper in the tank kill all my inverts including the coral?
Iodine = 464 ug/liter with a set point of 60 I've dosed Iodine for the inverts, it seems that I do not need to lol. Is that level dangerous to anything?
Silicon = 378 ug/liter with set point of 100. Not sure how that would have gotten in there and if it's dangerous? If so, how do I lower it.

Phosphorus = 497 ug/liter with a set point of 6
Phosphate = 1.52082 mg/liter with a set point of .01836
With both of those, I would think I would have a much worse algae situation than I do...
There's other random elements but these are the ones I figured I'd ask about first.
Again maybe it's the units of measurements throwing me off? Thanks for any help

#reefsquad

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely you have something rusting in or above your tank

And Triton is VERY accurate, especially with trace metals such as Copper, Tin, and Aluminum like you have.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll double check but I've never seen anything rusting. I'll have to give it a once over today after work. Still wouldn't I be losing inverts and my coral?

If left as is, you may over time. I had a copper of 40 ug/l and I eventually did start losing inverts. Common things that rust in tanks are magnets like the ones on power heads (my MP40 did not look like it from the outside, but when I took the wet side apart is was rusted). The impellers inside of pumps also. And and hardware above your sump or tank that gets condensation that could drip back into the tank. A common example of this is screw used for mounting and metal hose clamps.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a canopy look everywhere above and in the canopy. Inspect all of your equipment, power heads, pumps, heaters, etc. Look above and around your sump if you have one.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If left as is, you may over time. I had a copper of 40 ug/l and I eventually did start losing inverts. Common things that rust in tanks are magnets like the ones on power heads (my MP40 did not look like it from the outside, but when I took the wet side apart is was rusted). The impellers inside of pumps also. And and hardware above your sump or tank that gets condensation that could drip back into the tank. A common example of this is screw used for mounting and metal hose clamps.

Yea ill go look through everything tonight and double check. Good thing we have an RO/DI system finally so I can do some water changes.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ill go look through everything tonight and double check. Good thing we have an RO/DI system finally so I can do some water changes.

There are somem products that you can use also. Cuprisorb is reported to work good, Triton makes a product called "Detox" that worked really well in my tank.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are somem products that you can use also. Cuprisorb is reported to work good, Triton makes a product called "Detox" that worked really well in my tank.

I was a little leary because both test kits only had 2 tubes when I opened them and the instructions said there should be 3. No idea if maybe I got a faulty kit or something. But I'm going to proceed like those results are right.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a canopy look everywhere above and in the canopy. Inspect all of your equipment, power heads, pumps, heaters, etc. Look above and around your sump if you have one.

No canopy and I used double sided velcro for most stuff near the sump but I'm definitely going to double check it all tonight.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a little leary because both test kits only had 2 tubes when I opened them and the instructions said there should be 3. No idea if maybe I got a faulty kit or something. But I'm going to proceed like those results are right.

I have done probably 6 of them. I actually just sent one in today. There has only ever been 2 since I have been doing it. I believe it says on Triton's site that they only need 1, the second is just in case the first one would break in shipping.

Now ATI does 3.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done probably 6 of them. I actually just sent one in today. There has only ever been 2 since I have been doing it. I believe it says on Triton's site that they only need 1, the second is just in case the first one would break in shipping.

Now ATI does 3.

Maybe I was blind but I'm 99% sure the paperwork I had in my box said 3. Now o wish I hadn't thrown that away lol.

What about the other levels I listed? I guess I could just post the whole PDF lol.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon can sometimes get by RO/DI units. Do you have any problem with diatoms? Do you have a lot of sponges growing? I dosed silicates for several months while battling dinos and still have high silicates despite not having dosed in a few momths.

Do you have any ceramic biomedia? That could be your source of aluminum

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon can sometimes get by RO/DI units. Do you have any problem with diatoms? Do you have a lot of sponges growing? I dosed silicates for several months while battling dinos and still have high silicates despite not having dosed in a few momths.

We do have green diatoms on the rocks but no sponges. No ceramic biomedia.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely you have something rusting in or above your tank

And Triton is VERY accurate, especially with trace metals such as Copper, Tin, and Aluminum like you have.

This is the only thing I could find that looks like it may be the culprit. It's the clamp for my fuge light. But I honestly don't remember if I put this up before or after I sent the water sample in. To my untrained eye, I couldn't see anything else rusting.

light clamp.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, according to the cheap floating hydrometer/thermometer I could find today at the store (I need to buy the salinity probe for my apex) my salinity is 1.10 which would definitely be way low. I'm pretty sure I mixed my salt according to the directions but I did leave power heads running in the water tank overnight. Would that decrease the salinty of the water in the storage tank?

If that's my true salinity I definitely need to get that up.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Triton site says bio-pellets can be a source of copper in my system. I am using a bio-pellet reactor with aquamaxx bio-pellets in it. Could that really leach copper into my system?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back