Fox Face problems

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently added a 2” foxface into my tank and is acting weird. He was fine the first 2 days in the tank and was eating. Now, he is swimming very slow and not eating. He is always pointed downward when swimming around. Anyone have his problem before?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please provide us with more info? Tank size, parameters, how long has the tank been running, other tank mates, did you qt before adding to your tank? And a picture of the fish in question would help as well :)

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please provide us with more info? Tank size, parameters, how long has the tank been running, other tank mates, did you qt before adding to your tank? And a picture of the fish in question would help as well :)

Parameters are normal. The tank has been running for about 5 months. My local LFS quarantines all fish and each tank is it’s own system. This fish was all by himself so he was already in QT.
97ee498aec7a441c1ee9901d5a9497c1.jpg

Other tank mates include a naso Tang Purple Tang hippo Tang sailfin Tang 3 chromes a blueface angel 2 puffers and a powder blue Tang. He seems to also have this white dead skin looking thing on his mouth

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are normal. The tank has been running for about 5 months. My local LFS quarantines all fish and each tank is it’s own system. This fish was all by himself so he was already in QT.

Other tank mates include a naso Tang Purple Tang hippo Tang sailfin Tang 3 chromes a blueface angel 2 puffers and a powder blue Tang. He seems to also have this white dead skin looking thing on his mouth

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We would need numbers "parameters are normal" isnt really a great answer. What may be normal to you might stick out to us as a potential issue. And never trust that your local fish store quarantines stuff. Chances are they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to make the sale.

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take a video of the swimming behavior that would be helpful.

What was she eating at the pet store? And what was she eating the past two days your saying she ate?

The lights are out right now but she was eating anything and everything at the LFS. I asked the owner to feed her in front of me just to make sure. She was eating both pellets and algae sheets in my tank

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Infection? Tang aggresion. My Yellow Tang sometimes goes at my Foxface. Could be a parasite?

I do this super food paste thing that works for me in helping put weight on the fish. Sort of a home-made Masstick concoction. But it's nutritious and its a technique that helps get meds into the animals gut.

Food concoction (might seem expensive --- food and QT isn't necessarily cheap, probably why LFSs don't QT.)

Go to your petstore or amazon and order Hikari Seaweed extreme

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006JG2SPY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_batCBb2X3AX42)

and Piscine Energetics 1MM PE Mysis Pellets (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5D5QJJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x-sCBbDZ18EF4)

And pick up Seachem's metroplex, Seachem Focus and Garlic Guard (any garlic extract for fish would work, I just use this one)...Amazon has a full package deal that includes Kanaplex. (Ultimate Seachem Aquarium Treatment Bundle Pack - Metroplex, Kanaplex, Focus, Garlic Guard - All In One Aquarium Treatment https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CN3KT89/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RetCBbW0Z2XAX)

You're also going to get Selcon vitamin supplement (American Marine Selcon 60 mL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000255MGU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_VdtCBb48ZXKZH)

Get a strong zip lock bag and pour some of each type of pellet into it. Then squirt in one dose of the selcon to help immune system and garlic guard for flavoring. Add 10-20ml of RO or distilled water -- whatever you've got. Mash it all up in the ziplock until it gets mushy. Then add in the metroplex and Focus meds. Mash it all up into a solid paste. You should be able to almost roll this paste into a ball. Put it in your fridge and let it sit for a couple of hours before using. You'll be able to take out a chunk and roll it into a ball with your fingers. Either mash it against the glass of your aquarium or mash it onto a small piece of dry rock and place on your aquarium floor bed for the animals to pick at. If your foxface is in QT you'll be able to more easily see her eat.

Even if she's in QT I would probably still feed this to my DT fish to help them fight off any parasites they might have picked up. Just make sure the paste is a good consistency that it sticks easily to your glass. Don't use too much. This bag should last you a couple of weeks in the fridge.

But doesn't sound like you've seen stringy poop or anything. She's definitly small, so it could be stress.

Is this a fowlr tank? Maybe isolate her in an acclimation box, just for observation to see if she eats. That would be easier than a full QT as well giving her a chance to eat and rest peacefully in case she's getting bullied. I'd still make her that food concoction, even without the meds. My latest version adds in Neptune's Cross-Over pellets, some ReefRoids and I've starting adding a probiotic in the mix. But I'm looking at getting them fat. And the feeding response has been good. It could help her put on weight and build her immune system.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot stress enough how your LFS cannot quarantine your fish properly.

I agree with this.

There is no retailer or wholesaler that quarantines fish properly and it is absolutely not their responsibility. It’s yours as soon as you buy the fish or coral.

Most fish stores in their fish-only tanks will run some sort of medication, but this is in no way a substitute for performing QT when you buy the fish. It simply is not economically feasible for them to hold, feed and take up tank space for 3 months to run a fish threw a QT cycle. And don’t forget, each fish tank would have to be independent of every other tank. Adding a fish even halfway into a QT cycle in the same system means that you essentially start back at Day 0.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back