Fox face was fine this morning but I came back home and he is laying in the back corner of the tank!

Reagan2646

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface was fine this morning but I came back home and he is laying in the back of the tank. My water parameters are
Alk 9.0
Nitrate: 30
Phos .07

IMG_3863.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I can but he isn’t moving at all same spot
Will need bright white light intensity to see the fish clearly and see breathing rate. The image is too blue and overcome by shimmer.
One thing I can see is the fish is quite thin. What have you been feeding it?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed it mysis and pellets almost everyday
I’m not gonna say that nutrition is the problem here, but the Foxface is primarily an herbivore and needs algae, nori, etc. more so than mysis and pellets (depending on what the pellets consist of).

And you’d be better off downloading your video to YouTube and posting a link. Many, if not most forum members can’t view videos otherwise.

OP
OP
R

Reagan2646

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed nori too sorry I forgot to add that. The video is just the foxface breathing heavily in the corner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed nori too sorry I forgot to add that. The video is just the foxface breathing heavily in the corner

How long did you have the foxface?

The fish is really emaciated. When they get that thin, they start to use their livers as a food source. The organ failure then cascades into rapid breathing and not swimming. This could also be a gill disease, or a combination of those two factors. Since the fish likely isn't eating now, there is no way to correct that. The main concern now would be "damage control". If this is a gill disease, you will want to try and protect the other fish. Are you seeing any symptoms with them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I feed it mysis and pellets almost everyday
Its going to need a lot more than this. Add foods such as LRS Herbivore frenzy, spirulina brine shrimp, chopped krill, plankton, and prime reef

OP
OP
R

Reagan2646

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have the foxface?

The fish is really emaciated. When they get that thin, they start to use their livers as a food source. The organ failure then cascades into rapid breathing and not swimming. This could also be a gill disease, or a combination of those two factors. Since the fish likely isn't eating now, there is no way to correct that. The main concern now would be "damage control". If this is a gill disease, you will want to try and protect the other fish. Are you seeing any symptoms with them?
I had the fish for about 3 months and no the other fish are acting normal and are eating

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%

Back