Foxface compatibility question

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- I have a yellow 6” foxface in one of my 80G fragtanks for algae control. I am getting a captive bred gold flake angelfish that is about 2”.
1. Will they be OK together? All others in that frag tank are quite tame: cardinals, mandarin, and a sixline wrasse.
2. If there is any doubt in them getting along, what are the chances of me moving the yellow 6” into my 550G display to get along with another 6” magnificent foxface in there? There is a group of 12 tangs, 3 angels of varied sizes, bluethorat trigger, and groip of anthias.

Love to hear thoughts from those with experiences mixing foxface with goldflake, or having multiple foxfaces.
thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question- I have a yellow 6” foxface in one of my 80G fragtanks for algae control. I am getting a captive bred gold flake angelfish that is about 2”.
1. Will they be OK together? All others in that frag tank are quite tame: cardinals, mandarin, and a sixline wrasse.
2. If there is any doubt in them getting along, what are the chances of me moving the yellow 6” into my 550G display to get along with another 6” magnificent foxface in there? There is a group of 12 tangs, 3 angels of varied sizes, bluethorat trigger, and groip of anthias.

Love to hear thoughts from those with experiences mixing foxface with goldflake, or having multiple foxfaces.
thanks!
The Angel should get along with the foxface - they’re just docile beasts. If you did move the second fox into the 550 then you would absolutely need an acclimation box. It’s not 100% certain two foxfaces will get along unless added around the same time.

OP
OP
Coralsdaily

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Angel should get along with the foxface - they’re just docile beasts. If you did move the second fox into the 550 then you would absolutely need an acclimation box. It’s not 100% certain two foxfaces will get along unless added around the same time.
Thanks for the feedback! The only reason I asked is because previously I had a tank bred regal in that tank. It was doing well until I added a 3” dussumeiri. I didn’t see any aggression going down but the next day the angel just dropped dead with no injuries. Mysterious deaths just makes it more the worrysome

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dussumeiri by the way has moved onto the 550 and has been in non-stop battle with my tomini tang for over a month now.
Hopefully it dies down, the tomini should eventually be submissive to the Dussumieri.

Definitely understand how a mysterious death can affect it - I had two Pink Streak Wrasses die mysteriously in the past and I didn’t want to attempt them again until I found the reason. Eventually we left it to the juveniles bad shipping habits for the second death but the first was put down to old age.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dussumeiri by the way has moved onto the 550 and has been in non-stop battle with my tomini tang for over a month now.
Not surprised, acanthurus tangs can be tough.

My two cents that are very similar to I cant think— never had issues with rabbitfishes. At least, not a normal rabbitfish and a foxface. Would agree to acclimate the foxface to go with your mag; if you're not sure that they are compatible in groups, it's always best to box acclimate! Better safe than sorry.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprised, acanthurus tangs can be tough.

My two cents that are very similar to I cant think— never had issues with rabbitfishes. At least, not a normal rabbitfish and a foxface. Would agree to acclimate the foxface to go with your mag; if you're not sure that they are compatible in groups, it's always best to box acclimate! Better safe than sorry.
Rabbitfish and Foxfaces are often much easier to cohabitate with eachother. I’ve also seen more success in mixing Rabbits than mixing Foxfaces however I did know someone who had 12 Rabbits in an 8’ (May have actually been 12’) tank.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rabbitfish and Foxfaces are often much easier to cohabitate with eachother. I’ve also seen more success in mixing Rabbits than mixing Foxfaces however I did know someone who had 12 Rabbits in an 8’ (May have actually been 12’) tank.
Would definitely agree. Very intrigued to hear about the 12 rabbits, however! My place of work's retail tanks had two rabbitfish together for a while, until one day they snapped and one started attacking the other. Poor guy kept flashing his spine until we separated them. Now the two bar is swimming happily with a siganus unimaculatus

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back