Foxface i guess sick is this ich?

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i added foxface to my DT 180 gallon, after one week in DT today i saw few white spots on his head and mouth, when I put him in DT i saw his tail fin like eaten a little bit, and later I saw his eyes cloudy and one I has something on it. I started feeding it with metroplex kanaplex and focus binded food. Still eating. Before DT two weeks he was at my LFS and when i got him I treated in QT together with midas blenny, two times prazi pro and cupramine for 14 days.
other fish in my tank clowns, chromis viridis, azure damsel and firefish, tank is 2 month old, all fish before adding to DT was in QT with cupramine for 14, i guess 14 days not enough…no corals yet and no snails or crabs.

88C003FF-A018-4411-BE8D-FEF099EA94D6.jpeg B663F3C2-A8E0-4A02-BF8A-A101F1199507.jpeg 8992C5BF-7272-4380-99A6-67CF2161ABC2.jpeg 3628F379-8452-46C5-A522-E7622EA6DDC8.jpeg 5372E260-C206-4B29-8100-D41AFB8B0A50.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics are a little fuzzy to confirm ich but quarantine will be of importance unless it’s lymphoma but again hard to tell
This guy also quite thin and needs to eat. It’s needs more than nori and requires fats and aminos
Feed at minimum:
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Hikari veggie diet
Small plankton

Add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to the foods for immunity health and stamina

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i added foxface to my DT 180 gallon, after one week in DT today i saw few white spots on his head and mouth, when I put him in DT i saw his tail fin like eaten a little bit, and later I saw his eyes cloudy and one I has something on it. I started feeding it with metroplex kanaplex and focus binded food. Still eating. Before DT two weeks he was at my LFS and when i got him I treated in QT together with midas blenny, two times prazi pro and cupramine for 14 days.
other fish in my tank clowns, chromis viridis, azure damsel and firefish, tank is 2 month old, all fish before adding to DT was in QT with cupramine for 14, i guess 14 days not enough…no corals yet and no snails or crabs.

88C003FF-A018-4411-BE8D-FEF099EA94D6.jpeg B663F3C2-A8E0-4A02-BF8A-A101F1199507.jpeg 8992C5BF-7272-4380-99A6-67CF2161ABC2.jpeg 3628F379-8452-46C5-A522-E7622EA6DDC8.jpeg 5372E260-C206-4B29-8100-D41AFB8B0A50.jpeg
While the 2 spots could be ich, the cloudy eyes and tattered tail fin are not symptoms of that. You said the fish was treated with prazipro 2x, but those symptoms could be from flukes, perhaps the treatment didn’t work?
Jay

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the 2 spots could be ich, the cloudy eyes and tattered tail fin are not symptoms of that. You said the fish was treated with prazipro 2x, but those symptoms could be from flukes, perhaps the treatment didn’t work?
Jay
Maybe i need to make freshwater dip? Never done it before

Dinosaur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you should use copper medication, did you check your nitrates level? most of the time high nitrate caused a lot of infection.

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you should use copper medication, did you check your nitrates level? most of the time high nitrate caused a lot of infection.
Yes my nitrates are high about 40ppm. Its strange in he morning these two spots over his eye where bright and i can see them easy now in the evening they almost gone cant see. Today i turned on UV and feeding metroplex with kanaplex 3rd day now.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed his eyes look really cloudy as well, I dont believe your dealing with ich but rather parsites of some sort/ I would do a FW dip and copper in a qt. Maybe even another round of prazipro - kali

hoytoyed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloudy eyes are common for a Foxface. Completely normal. Mine has cloudy eyes too and has grown an inch and a half in 2 months and is a voracious eater.

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed his eyes look really cloudy as well, I dont believe your dealing with ich but rather parsites of some sort/ I would do a FW dip and copper in a qt. Maybe even another round of prazipro - kali
I also think maybe its flukes, i will try to do FW first, never done before and than put straight to QT.first of all i need to catch him, tank almost 8ft long

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed him more to try and get his strength up. Literally let him stuff himself a few times a day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe i need to make freshwater dip? Never done it before

A freshwater dip might help give temporary relief. Don't forget, foxface have venomous spines, so take care handling them. Here is an excerpt from my upcoming fish disease book about FW dips:

“Freshwater dips” are commonly used to dislodge parasites from the skin of marine fishes. To perform these dips, the fish is captured and placed in a dimly lit container of clean freshwater the same temperature as the aquarium system it came from. Do not use reverse osmosis or deionized water, as there is no buffer capacity and the pH can drop too low. Dechlorinated tap water is suitable unless it is very acidic. The dip container should be covered with a clear material so that the fish is kept from jumping out, yet can still be observed for overt signs of stress. Hold the fish in the freshwater for five minutes to seven minutes. If acute stress is seen, the dip may need to be terminated early. The idea is to dislodge the parasites, without unduly harming the fish. Many aquarists opt to use reverse osmosis water, and adjust the pH to match the aquarium, but this is simply not necessary if the pH of the freshwater is between 7.5 and 8.5. Some advocate to not aerate the water during the dip, but this is incorrect. The water motion from air bubbles can help keep the fish active so that they can be better assessed for stress. Additionally, the air bubbles help dislodge some parasites during the dip process.

Some caveats:
  • Some fish will give extreme reactions to being dipped (hepatus tangs for example), as long as they were swimming well before the dip, it is best to ignore that behavior and continue for a full five minutes.
  • Moribund fish can be dipped, but understand that the acute stress from the dip may prove fatal. The dip water should still be checked for parasites in order to possibly help any remaining fish. Moribund would include any fish that was easy to capture or a fish with a respiration rate of 200+ BPM.
  • Choose the type of net wisely, some fish have spines that will become caught in the netting. Have a pair of scissors handy to cut the net if this happens.
  • Dropping a fish while moving it to and from the dip is common, take care. Some fish have venomous spines, so know that before trying to handle any fish.
  • Fish shaking their heads violently after capture is one cause of mechanical exophthalmos (popeye), so try to gently restrain them in the net while moving them.
Jay

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, again, i have a little update and saw on strange thing which i never seen before(i am beginner) so my foxface white spots gone from one place but other day i see new ones on other place few on body few on fins, and unexpectedly today i was looking at him and i saw transperent mucus on him which was flying with few white spots, and suddently he released it and all film with white spots flew away straight to my gyre, i even captured with camera, will attach just dont know if quality wont be compressed. Maybe they have self defensive mucus?

Attachments

• IMG_0403.MOV
    10.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, again, i have a little update and saw on strange thing which i never seen before(i am beginner) so my foxface white spots gone from one place but other day i see new ones on other place few on body few on fins, and unexpectedly today i was looking at him and i saw transperent mucus on him which was flying with few white spots, and suddently he released it and all film with white spots flew away straight to my gyre, i even captured with camera, will attach just dont know if quality wont be compressed. Maybe they have self defensive mucus?
I've never seen that on a foxface, but other fish shed sheets of mucus (mandarins and scorpionfish most notably).

This fish does still look thin.
Did you try a FW dip on it?

Jay

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen that on a foxface, but other fish shed sheets of mucus (mandarins and scorpionfish most notably).

This fish does still look thin.
Did you try a FW dip on it?

Jay
Not yet, i was preparing for it with rodi, i checked ph it was about 7 i guess, salifert yellow color, so i was afread to dip it, because dont have a ph buffer to raise, can I use soda ash? Or 7ph is ok? My DT PH is 8.2

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, i was preparing for it with rodi, i checked ph it was about 7 i guess, salifert yellow color, so i was afread to dip it, because dont have a ph buffer to raise, can I use soda ash? Or 7ph is ok? My DT PH is 8.2
You can just use dechhlorinated tap water. In 90% of the country, the pH of that will be above 8. It is safer than using RODI. Also, you can draw it from the tap at just the right temperatrure.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back