Foxface looks like she’s on last leg

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I see some bloat in her belly. She kinda getting blown around tank.
Been out of town for a few days but wife been feeding fish.

I noticed this head down swimming before I left. Now it’s a lot worse. Also a light spot on her side. Not looking her best.

fish is over 5 years old bc I’ve had her 5 years. Don’t know age when I got her.
Any comments recommendations would be appreciated.

EE231463-72F2-4FE3-B1EC-D2BC552491AD.jpeg
A3EBE164-3724-444D-83FB-12E2145E5FC7.jpeg
EE231463-72F2-4FE3-B1EC-D2BC552491AD.jpeg
A3EBE164-3724-444D-83FB-12E2145E5FC7.jpeg
70036F60-0D55-4C50-BB6A-5506BBBC3C88.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the swelling on its body, it's past the stomach, more where the intestines are. I see the mark on its left upper back, I think that is probably from the way it is swimming and it ran into something. The soft fin rays are also all eroded. Have you added any fish recently? If it wasn't for how long you've had the fish, the eroded fins and labored breathing scream out flukes to me, but that is not likely unless you recently added some fish.

Going back to the bloated area: if that is an intestinal blockage, it could allow gas to build up, causing the fish to swim oddly. Then, the fins get eroded due to scraping on things, the scraped skin shows up and the labored breathing is from struggling against the built-up gas. You can't treat that, but at least you wouldn't need to worry about your other fish catching something....

Jay

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the swelling on its body, it's past the stomach, more where the intestines are. I see the mark on its left upper back, I think that is probably from the way it is swimming and it ran into something. The soft fin rays are also all eroded. Have you added any fish recently? If it wasn't for how long you've had the fish, the eroded fins and labored breathing scream out flukes to me, but that is not likely unless you recently added some fish.

Going back to the bloated area: if that is an intestinal blockage, it could allow gas to build up, causing the fish to swim oddly. Then, the fins get eroded due to scraping on things, the scraped skin shows up and the labored breathing is from struggling against the built-up gas. You can't treat that, but at least you wouldn't need to worry about your other fish catching something....

Jay
Thanks for your expertise. I have not added any fish in quite a while.

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Should I see how it plays out or catch and euthanize ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a needle and syringe, you could try drawing off the swelling to see if it’s gas (taking care not to get stung!). Otherwise, I don’t see it getting better....sorry.
Jay

OP
OP
Desperado

Desperado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a needle and syringe, you could try drawing off the swelling to see if it’s gas (taking care not to get stung!). Otherwise, I don’t see it getting better....sorry.
Jay
Well thanks for the help

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish indeed! Sadly it might be in that ‘beginning of the end’ stage of it’s life, not matter the reasonable efforts you employ.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back