Foxface

Acemann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey question, I’m thinking about getting a foxface for my reef tank for all the hair algae (and some color), but I was just wondering if its really necessary to quarantine it because it’s so hardy or unlikely to get diseases. Or can anyone give me suggestions on some invertebrates that will eat up hair algae
my setup:
125 gallon tank
50 gallon sump
2 clownfish
Xenia
Toxic Green monticap
Invertebrates

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's my experience... and opinion

Have had no success with Foxface eating hair algae in 2 fish over several years. Love to hear if others have and other experience

And to QT'ing, yes they are sturdy fish, but that can also carry parasites and introduce them to an established tank, so I would not skip QTing if you are able to

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey question, I’m thinking about getting a foxface for my reef tank for all the hair algae (and some color), but I was just wondering if its really necessary to quarantine it because it’s so hardy or unlikely to get diseases. Or can anyone give me suggestions on some invertebrates that will eat up hair algae
my setup:
125 gallon tank
50 gallon sump
2 clownfish
Xenia
Toxic Green monticap
Invertebrates
Foxface is worse choice for dependance on eating this. Also assume all fish acquired carry something and I would not skip QT especially if you have a QT tank already
Follow best practice with this algae and pull off as much as you can by hand and reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

OP
OP
A

Acemann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface is worse choice for dependance on eating this. Also assume all fish acquired carry something and I would not skip QT especially if you have a QT tank already
Follow best practice with this algae and pull off as much as you can by hand and reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
I do use rodi water phosphate level is 1.0 ppm. I realize that is pretty high but my Xenia is growing like crazy. Tank isn’t near a window but I have two radion xr30s.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do use rodi water phosphate level is 1.0 ppm. I realize that is pretty high but my Xenia is growing like crazy. Tank isn’t near a window but I have two radion xr30s.
Reduce white intensity and 1.0 is a safe high level but .08 would be ideal

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my setup:
125 gallon tank
50 gallon sump
2 clownfish
Xenia
Toxic Green monticap
Invertebrates
Battling hair algae in my tank currently. Ive put a long spine urchin and two big butt turbo snails, they are making good progress! Try those

Jax3545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my setup:
125 gallon tank
50 gallon sump
2 clownfish
Xenia
Toxic Green monticap
Invertebrates
I'm a little late to the game, but I can definitely tell you qt is a must. My 1st vlamingii died from velvet introduced by the new foxface last year. The foxface died within a couple days of purchasing.
I just pulled my current foxface for the only fish with cloudy eyes. I treated with prazi yesterday and today it was acting weird. As it wandered by, i saw it had a whispy, cloudy trail on its eyes. He is also the only skinny fish in my tank. He is looking more like the carrier of many things.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back