Foxfaced died for seemingly no reason

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there’s a reason, but I’m not sure what.
I’ve had my foxface for roughly 2 years, and he’s been happy and thriving. yesterday morning, I noticed he was stuck on the weir, and not swimming. as soon as I turned on the light he darted, but lost all his strength and started floating in the flow of my gyre pumps. I tested the water, 0-.02 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite. - thought technically my redsea test kit expired last month. everything else is flourishing, including my basic corals. He has nothing wrong with him on his exterior, not even ripped fins, and as I can see on the camera he was absolutely fine at midnight 9/3, and somewhere around 8 he was just absolutely out of it. he died sometime lastnight-this morning in a quarantine tank.

I would like to see if someone can help me figure out why? I read they only live roughly 5 years, and I’m not sure if he was aquacultured or wild caught, but surely there would be more build up to dying of old age.

This is a photo of the tank (and him, he always had to be in photos) just a couple days ago. any advice is appreciated!

6511E977-1172-4423-BFA1-6BFE7E20D9DE.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there’s a reason, but I’m not sure what.
I’ve had my foxface for roughly 2 years, and he’s been happy and thriving. yesterday morning, I noticed he was stuck on the weir, and not swimming. as soon as I turned on the light he darted, but lost all his strength and started floating in the flow of my gyre pumps. I tested the water, 0-.02 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite. - thought technically my redsea test kit expired last month. everything else is flourishing, including my basic corals. He has nothing wrong with him on his exterior, not even ripped fins, and as I can see on the camera he was absolutely fine at midnight 9/3, and somewhere around 8 he was just absolutely out of it. he died sometime lastnight-this morning in a quarantine tank.

I would like to see if someone can help me figure out why? I read they only live roughly 5 years, and I’m not sure if he was aquacultured or wild caught, but surely there would be more build up to dying of old age.

This is a photo of the tank (and him, he always had to be in photos) just a couple days ago. any advice is appreciated!

6511E977-1172-4423-BFA1-6BFE7E20D9DE.jpeg

Tough to say. It looks a bit thin in the photo.
You’re correct “old age” death usually gives you some increasing symptoms.

Jay

OP
OP
Phantom7

Phantom7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say. It looks a bit thin in the photo.
You’re correct “old age” death usually gives you some increasing symptoms.

Jay
He has always looked thin, but we’re really probably guilty of over feeding. Just have a lot of Chaeto in the sump (and as you can see GHA) to keep nitrates and such low.

I had read before he should be fed seaweed, but he never showed interest. maybe we caused him to be malnutritioned?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has always looked thin, but we’re really probably guilty of over feeding. Just have a lot of Chaeto in the sump (and as you can see GHA) to keep nitrates and such low.

I had read before he should be fed seaweed, but he never showed interest. maybe we caused him to be malnutritioned?

I've had foxface that completely refused plant material, and only wanted mysids, pellets and other meaty foods. I know that other people say they eat lots of algae, but mine typically have not.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back