emilyruthwinsor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all of these these coral frags in October 2023 and they were all thriving, bright and happy. A few weeks later I had a big alkalinity spike, killing most of my fish and a few bigger corals.

Everything got sorted, and my LFS housed the remaining frags and fish. Since then I’ve had a bit of new tank syndrome which has now ended and my corals just seem to be not growing and declining every day.

Zoas haven’t opened since before Christmas and are growing algae.

Red Plating Montipora went half white after spike now completely lost all colour and keeps growing algae.

Green Stylo, still angling itself towards light but no sign of other life and keeps growing algae.

Candycane Trumpets seem to be doing okay but keep receding and coming back as and when they wish.

Purple tree like coral (can’t remember name) is fine!

Green little frag (can’t remember name) seems happy just not growing at all!

Levels all steady and healthy now.

Any tips on how to revive these and regain brightness of these corals would be hugely appreciated.

IMG_7198.jpeg IMG_7199.jpeg IMG_7200.jpeg IMG_7201.jpeg IMG_7202.jpeg IMG_7203.jpeg IMG_7204.jpeg IMG_7205.jpeg IMG_7206.jpeg IMG_7207.jpeg IMG_7208.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, thanks! The storm moved further south, so I'm only getting about two inches where I am. Sometimes nature is so boring :confused::confused:.
Last time I was in Boston it was for my father’s retirement party at The Garden. I don’t know how people drive around in that city!

Upvote 0

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think alkalinity was the problem in this situation. My alk is currently at 15 (usually 8) and everything is thriving as usual. What was it that you considered it to be a spike?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

emilyruthwinsor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fab thanks for all the advice everyone! I’ll get my nitrates up! Whilst on the subject can anyone ID the purple tree like coral?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back