OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great response to this thread. So far frags are winning!

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say frags simply because the types of corals I like tend to be pricy to begin with. If a colony is available I usually can't afford it.

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer frags, they seem to grow out in the tank better... adapting to flow and what not...

I have purchased a few colonies, but as said before in the thread... colonies now a days are like frags back then!!

When I think of a colony, I picture at least the size of my hand fully stretched out... Frags the size of say my pinky...

A mature colony in an aquarium on the other hand..2 hands stretched out, side by side!! :smile:

OP
OP
Reef Pets

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, some colonies are the size of whats considered to be frags. When I think of a frag it will fit on a basic 3/4 - 1 inch plug and when I think of mature colony, about the size of my hand opened.

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like frags. I think they tend to adapt better in the new environment and also are easier to prevent unwanted hitchhikers.

Last edited:

lhcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like going with the frag most of the time. I like the satisfaction of seeing it grow. I have bought a couple of small colonies in the past.

LitlBailey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather buy colonies to be able to fill out the empty spaces faster, but I can usually only afford frags.

jrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i prefer frags, they take a while to grow into maturity, but when they do they adapt to the flow and take off, ive found colonys have already started one growth pattern and when placed in an area that makes them change, it disrupts growth quite a bit

cthumphr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents - with the explosion of smaller tanks, and cheaper lighting technology more people are trying reefs that didn't before (myself included). Keeping that trend in mind, these smaller tanks and tighter budget group are looking for frags and not colonies. Variety is the name of the game and the best/only way to get that done is with frags in a small tank. So I say focus on frags, and have some high end colonies on hand for your clients with fat wallets.

PLNelson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colonies. I can usually make back what I payed for a colony by fraging it and selling the frags to people in my club, and I'm left with a good chunk to watch grow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back