Frag plugs turning red between glue & plug?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This isn’t a big deal, I don’t think, just more of a curiosity. I have noticed that several of my frag plugs are turning this weird rusty red color where they’re making contact with the glue & rocks. I’m using BSI Insta-Cure IC-Gel glue & it happens with all different types of frag plugs. The rocks are CaribSea LifeRock. Tank is 7 months old. I’ve noticed this on probably 5 or 6 frags that I’ve had to move for various reasons.
Anyone else ever experience this? Is it anything I should be concerned about?

6D7D5C45-1D0D-46C7-A956-BFFD803178D2.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't, so it must be something with that particular brand of glue or something specific in your tank (I use EcoTech gel glue).
I’ve been wanting to give that a try! I’ve heard really good things. Is it a thicker gel? I cannot stand the runny gels.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used that glue, so can't comment. If I had to guess, it's probably something in the glue reacting to salt water.

Regular old super glue gel works just as well as any coral specific glue, and it's loads cheaper!

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never used that glue, so can't comment. If I had to guess, it's probably something in the glue reacting to salt water.

Regular old super glue gel works just as well as any coral specific glue, and it's loads cheaper!
What kind are you using? I haven’t found one that I really like because they’re all pretty runny. I like the thicker gels, but I’m open to suggestions!

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loctite brand gel.

or....

Even the dollar store brand works just as well. None of them are as thick as what your using though.

IMO, thick is not whats needed for frag plug, just gel so it doesn't run down your hands.

Any of them work as long as they are just cyanoacrylic.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you need coral specific glue. They are all just cyanoacrylic glue.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny part about buying super glue.....

At walmart you have to be ID'ed to buy super glue! I always get a funny look when I have like 10 bottles of super glue on the belt waiting to be scanned.

No idea what they are using it for these days, or why one would have to be ID'ed for super glue?

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The funny part about buying super glue.....

At walmart you have to be ID'ed to buy super glue! I always get a funny look when I have like 10 bottles of super glue on the belt waiting to be scanned.

No idea what they are using it for these days, or why one would have to be ID'ed for super glue?
That’s super weird!

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use the BRS glue. Best I’ve used so far. It also looks like that under frags. It’s normal. Doesn’t hurt anything.

Attachments

• 9EE03E88-8B6F-4707-89A0-C93B67A5BCEA.jpeg
    9EE03E88-8B6F-4707-89A0-C93B67A5BCEA.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 28

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I am wrong but it is a reaction between aragonite/sand based frag plugs. I always get those red marks whenever I use aragonite frag plugs reason I switched to ceramic frag plugs

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Correct me if I am wrong but it is a reaction between aragonite/sand based frag plugs. I always get those red marks whenever I use aragonite frag plugs reason I switched to ceramic frag plugs
Good to know! There is certainly more of it on that type of plug so that makes sense.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back