Frag plugs turning red between glue & plug?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love that glue. I got it fairly cheap on Amazon (3 packs) after my LFS ran out.
Really? That’s awesome! I’ll check out Amazon now.

BSI has the best consistency and is so easy to apply. I’ve tried almost all the glues and this is my choice for frags.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t a big deal, I don’t think, just more of a curiosity. I have noticed that several of my frag plugs are turning this weird rusty red color where they’re making contact with the glue & rocks. I’m using BSI Insta-Cure IC-Gel glue & it happens with all different types of frag plugs. The rocks are CaribSea LifeRock. Tank is 7 months old. I’ve noticed this on probably 5 or 6 frags that I’ve had to move for various reasons.
Anyone else ever experience this? Is it anything I should be concerned about?

6D7D5C45-1D0D-46C7-A956-BFFD803178D2.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

Funny i posted about this same exact thing about a year ago, and no one had any idea what it was.

I've had the same thing happen with my IC-Glue, it's interesting. IT actually will GROW into a fuzzy red algae kind of if left alone. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I think it's some type of bacteria TBH. nothing would eat it. But after about 6 months it was covered in corraline and died off.

I'll search for some photos later.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny i posted about this same exact thing about a year ago, and no one had any idea what it was.

I've had the same thing happen with my IC-Glue, it's interesting. IT actually will GROW into a fuzzy red algae kind of if left alone. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I think it's some type of bacteria TBH. nothing would eat it. But after about 6 months it was covered in corraline and died off.

I'll search for some photos later.
Interesting that you say that… I have some leftover glue on a rock and it is growing into some fuzzy red algae! I hadn’t put two and two together on that and I just noticed it the other day.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really? That’s awesome! I’ll check out Amazon now.

BSI has the best consistency and is so easy to apply. I’ve tried almost all the glues and this is my choice for frags.
In case you didn’t already find it, here’s the link. Not sure why the 2, 3 and 4 packs are so much but I just ordered 2 individual packs of 3. Amazon is weird.
3 Pack IC-Gel Insta Cure Cyanoacrylate Gel Coral Glue .7oz / 20 g

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you say that… I have some leftover glue on a rock and it is growing into some fuzzy red algae! I hadn’t put two and two together on that and I just noticed it the other day.
Yeah I wish I knew why or what's going on exactly.

The glue composition is Ethanol and some type of "Treated Fumed Silica" whatever the heck that means per the Safety Data Sheet.

I'm not sure if the composition of the glue just then allows for and attracts whatever that "Algae" or "Bacteria" it is to grow there happily, or if the glue itself is the source of the growth, but almost every time I use it in a "newer" tank it has the exact same reaction.

Again never had it cause anything negative per se, but definitely is strange.

Attachments

• sds_ic_gel.pdf
    896.4 KB · Views: 19

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found a Video of it finally from 2020, Used BSI Glue to put this frag down and it grew that red hair algae stuff in the video.

Another photo of it too:

IMG_0062.jpeg

Last edited:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get this and I use two little fishes Coralfix glue. I’ve often wondered what it is. I don’t get it on plugs but larger plates I grow colonies on. Almost like rust.

hotbiscuits84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also get this reaction too when using superglue (Starbond EM-2000) with aragonite plugs. Haven’t noticed any reaction with ceramic plugs, and none of my frags seem to be affected by it.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup its bacteria/algae nothing to worry about. Ive got it with BSI or any other number of glues, no ill effects

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My first thought was that it’s the fraggers’ blood from getting injured while fragging, and touching the glue.
Can confirm it’s not my blood. :) but my nice gel manicures keep getting glue on them… I just consider that a reefing tax though lol

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said earlier I only get this on plates and not plugs but here is a photo I took yesterday when doing some fragging and dipping. This was an Ista plug and two little fishies glue.
79B85B60-4754-47B1-9493-A526D5304B8C.jpeg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back