FRAG TANK ADVICE

Bennybeats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I need some guidance on a frag tank set up.. I have a 33”long and it is NOT drilled. I was thinking of putting a seachem tidal 55 HOB filter running 2 MP10 for flow and bare bottom(with egg crate) using a reef breeder phonton 2 48inch light. Do y’all think this is a disaster waiting to happen? If you think it may work I need some help on what kind and how to set up the media.. if you don’t think it will work all advice will be greatly appreciated!!

image.jpg

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone so I need some guidance on a frag tank set up.. I have a 33”long and it is NOT drilled. I was thinking of putting a seachem tidal 55 HOB filter running 2 MP10 for flow and bare bottom(with egg crate) using a reef breeder phonton 2 48inch light. Do y’all think this is a disaster waiting to happen? If you think it may work I need some help on what kind and how to set up the media.. if you don’t think it will work all advice will be greatly appreciated!!

image.jpg
So if you are growing frags you need a stable tank. Setting up a "new " tank takes time to get to the point of "growth" . What you are planning will work but take time. Also no sump and hob skimmer will probably work but reduced fish load which corals love a little fish poop lol. Need a clean up crew as well as herbivores to eat the algae that is coming. So that is just a few things to thing about.
Post what you decide.

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a 10 gallon frag tank, with no prior saltwater experience.
I used 2 pounds of live rock, Seachem stability, and 3 hermit crabs.
I had it cycled in 2 weeks.
It’s also filtered by a Marineland biowheel.

OP
OP
B

Bennybeats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thanks for the advice I am in no hurry to put anything in I just want to do it right. So as far as the media what would you think about putting the marine bio blocks on the bottom and then the egg crate on top of that?
So if you are growing frags you need a stable tank. Setting up a "new " tank takes time to get to the point of "growth" . What you are planning will work but take time. Also no sump and hob skimmer will probably work but reduced fish load which corals love a little fish poop lol. Need a clean up crew as well as herbivores to eat the algae that is coming. So that is just a few things to thing about.
Post what you decide.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thanks for the advice I am in no hurry to put anything in I just want to do it right. So as far as the media what would you think about putting the marine bio blocks on the bottom and then the egg crate on top of that?
I would do marinepure rubble or small marinepure balls. I would worry about it clogging in the filter. I run my tank with an aquaclear with marine pure in it.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boi blocks require water flow to pass through them. Which would work vertically. Maybe live rock below the egg crate with a power head pushing water across. Unless you can figure out a way to have the water flow through the bio blocks... drilling a tank isn't hard. You will have more space in the frag tank and be happier with a sump. Petco sells tanks for $1 gallon when they have a sale. Buy a cheap 20g and build a sump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back