Frag Tank Build

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a small frag tank from "luckreef" on Ebay. (I know, name sounds questionable..lol) I've purchased ATO res' from him in the past and the quality is better than commercially available acrylic products. Another note: another member here on R2R mentioned that "luckreef" is Advanced Acrylics Ebay outlet.

It's an AIO design - dimensions 16x20x6 I planned it to be a holding/grow out frag tank. Have not gotten pump or light for it yet. I'm open to any recs on those items. So here we go..

To start this build thread I'd thought I'd show you their packing. (It's insane) Pics attached

IMG_7168.JPG IMG_7169.JPG IMG_7170.JPG IMG_7171.JPG IMG_7172.JPG IMG_7173.JPG IMG_7174.JPG IMG_7175.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a leak test today using an MJ 900 pump I had lying around - https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-mj900-powerhead.html I'm going to have to find a cleaner bulkhead fitting (instead of a hose sticking out. Overall the test went good, pump (230gph) is not too much for this little tank which I estimate is 8 gal. Now for next endeavor, find a small submersible heater & I'm considering using some MarinePure balls from one of my other tanks & some foam for media filtration. More to come...

IMG_7177.JPG IMG_7178.JPG IMG_7179.JPG

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve sold me. I’m going to purchase one soon. If I may suggest from my prior experience with AIO’s. You can make a 2-3 stack tall egg crate media rack with egg crate and zip ties and put that in your first chamber with filter floss being the top media.
it looks great so far! What are you planning on doing for coral placement? Put in a frag rack or make your own?

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve sold me. I’m going to purchase one soon. If I may suggest from my prior experience with AIO’s. You can make a 2-3 stack tall egg crate media rack with egg crate and zip ties and put that in your first chamber with filter floss being the top media.
it looks great so far! What are you planning on doing for coral placement? Put in a frag rack or make your own?

Thanks for the media rack idea, that is kind of what I had in mind. I'll probably build an egg crate frag rack or I might just buy one for Luckreef (he actually sells this tank with them (I saw it AFTER I purchased this one...lol)

AS far as getting one from Luckreef, you won't be disappointed. The pictures don't do the quality of his stuff justice. Someday (in my wildest of dreams) I'll have him build me a replacement for my 120g

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the trigger and got the same one as you - figure I can use one of my reactor pumps as the circulation pump. Now to frag the crap out of my huge Hollywood stunner chalice and others so maybe I can offload them and clear some space in my display.
Thanks again for pointing me to this tank - it's going to go on my desk!

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 additions today - first a Magnafuge Lite from Innovative Marine- https://reefbuilders.com/2013/08/15/magnafuge-led/
I have a handful of these around for fuge lights, but for now this is where I'm starting for this "nano frag system". The other addition was the heater - ever tried to find a small heater? It's quite the qwest but I found this Aqueon 50w heater. It's 5" long - hopefully it will handle my 8gal frag tank. Will keep all who are interested posted.

IMG_7187.JPG IMG_7188.JPG IMG_7184.JPG IMG_7185.JPG

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great so far. I am going to check that ebay thread as well. What kind of coral frags are you thinking about keeping in there?

I'm starting off with some from my current tanks that need harvesting, GSP, Kenya Tree (I'm giving that away), I have a frogspawn that needs trimming and some SPS. The SPS will have to wait until I get a better light. Maybe another Kessil. Another future upgrade is going to be adding my spare apex EB8 for the frag tank but the "catch is" I need a 125ft USB aquabus cable - https://www.usbfirewire.com/apex.html My main tanks are upstairs on main & upper levels of our house & frag tank is in my office on lower level.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to start a frag system but for some reason i can't pull the trigger. I seem to be stuck on if I should go aio or try and plumb it into my display. The frag system is supposed to be something that produces a return on the cheap but i sometimes accidentally go high end. Would a couple kessil a80s be adequate for lps and softies on a tank that size?

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to start a frag system but for some reason i can't pull the trigger. I seem to be stuck on if I should go aio or try and plumb it into my display. The frag system is supposed to be something that produces a return on the cheap but i sometimes accidentally go high end. Would a couple kessil a80s be adequate for lps and softies on a tank that size?
I don't see why the Kessil a80's wouldn't work out. They seem to have a good spectrum.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my apex EB8 wired I'm probably going to pull the trigger on another Kessil 360we for the Frag tank. I have 5 of them right now and I like the adjustability & control via the Apex. As they say in the old country " you can always turn them down". lol

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my apex EB8 wired I'm probably going to pull the trigger on another Kessil 360we for the Frag tank. I have 5 of them right now and I like the adjustability & control via the Apex. As they say in the old country " you can always turn them down". lol
I was thinking of maybe just getting one 160 tuna blue and just adjusting them. See here I go with the more and more expensive stuff...

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank going? Got my stand built for mine this weekend and got the tank wet today. Have you tested the heater, yet? I got the 100w version of it and looking at it now it has heated my water up to 80.2 degrees. May have to return it and get the 50W like you.

OP
OP
Mical

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've water tested it, did some plumbing work and am planning to fill it sometime this week. Haven't tested the heater yet been busy with "winter duties" around the house. Will keep you posted when I do.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back