Frag Tank help

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im planning a build for a frag tank using a 50g lowboy frag tank and was wondering what best filtration would be. Due to cost I was trying not to have a sump for this build. I have seen at my lfs that they have their skimmer in the display of their coral tank and was wondering if I would be able to do this or if it’s not recommended. For right now I’m planning on only using 24x24” section for corals because of the amount of frags I have right now and was planning on just getting one Red Sea led 90 but would upgrade to a second light if frags take off. So I’m not worried about the space for right now So I was thinking the reef octo 110sss skimmer and the Red Sea reef wave 25 for the powerhead. That’s all I’ve got on my list for the setup right now. Anyone have suggestions or concerns about the build. mostly the skimmer. I’ve looked at hang on backs but I have more experience with the in sump ones so would prefer those if that is possible. Thank y’all.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
may want to look into octopus bh hob models,great skimmers,no chance of overflowing,not taking up floor space in tank :)

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the wasted space why not. Some of the other main considerations would be getting an optimal height for your water level, and/or a consistent water level for good performance, as well as light spill growing algae in your skimmer and reducing its effectiveness. Neither are deal breakers really. Do you have a plan for an auto top off solution, that won't swing salinity?

p.s would not recommend a hob skimmer.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the wasted space why not. Some of the other main considerations would be getting an optimal height for your water level, and/or a consistent water level for good performance, as well as light spill growing algae in your skimmer and reducing its effectiveness. Neither are deal breakers really. Do you have a plan for an auto top off solution, that won't swing salinity?

p.s would not recommend a hob skimmer.
I have a auto ato I was planning on using a bucket under the tank for the ato reservoir. I wasn’t really wanting a hob so glad to hear I can put it in the tank for now . I hadn’t thought ab algae growth in it tho so I’ll have to think about that thank you

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a auto ato I was planning on using a bucket under the tank for the ato reservoir. I wasn’t really wanting a hob so glad to hear I can put it in the tank for now . I hadn’t thought ab algae growth in it tho so I’ll have to think about that thank you
The issue is if you set it up in the tank the water level change required to activate the ato might be a swing in salinity that isn't insignificant.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were going to put it in the display tank just put a black sheet of acrylic between the protein skimmer and the frag racks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back