Frag Tank In Refugium.... Looking for pics for ideas

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I'm trying to plan out my Refugium and saw a few people convert theirs to have a Frag Tanks Portion. Would like to see some inspiration or pics of how y'all are doing it. Also any things you would do different or recommend while doing this method?

Thanks!

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I know this not what you asked for, but I couldn't resist sharing what I am growing in my refugium!
If you look closely you'll see that one is smaller than the other three. 3 are from the penultimate cluch of babies and 1 is from the last cluch. I don't feed them. The are growing on food particles that make it past the main display fish and into the overflow. Plus, I'm sure they are snacking on critters living in the refugium. Normally I have filter socks in place, but I'm having too much fun watching cardinals grow to put the socks back in.
PS: I find Chrome works muck better than Safari for watching movies. I can't speak to other web browsers.

Attachments

• Baby Banggai Cardinalfish.mov
    10.1 MB

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this to just drop in my sump… keeps my display clean.
CA2AE5D0-0E27-4E5B-AF0D-3C926F72BCE1.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0288.jpeg

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built this to just drop in my sump… keeps my display clean.
CA2AE5D0-0E27-4E5B-AF0D-3C926F72BCE1.jpeg
IMG_0279.jpeg
IMG_0288.jpeg
That is pretty neat! Have you used it yet would love to see it in action.

Also I went through all 30+ pages of your build threat last night and all I can say is round of applause incredible tank you have learned a lot from it!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty neat! Have you used it yet would love to see it in action.

Also I went through all 30+ pages of your build threat last night and all I can say is round of applause incredible tank you have learned a lot from it!
I ran it for a couple weeks and decided it wasn’t worth it for the time being cause my display has all the room in the world haha! It’s sitting in my garage for now but it will get use in the near future.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran it for a couple weeks and decided it wasn’t worth it for the time being cause my display has all the room in the world haha! It’s sitting in my garage for now but it will get use in the near future.
Understandable, Whats probably going to happen is i'm going to have to custom build a Fuge to fit in my stand and make a mini frag tank. Should be a fun project.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all what I asked for but thats super neat! How did you become successful breeding them in your fuge?
I am not doing anything in particular. I have a breeding pair of Banggai cardinals. I used to have a lot of aiptasia and they filled the overflow. I suspect they ate most of the baby cardinals. I added Berghia nudibranchs which cleared out most of the aiptasia. "Junior", my first baby cardinal, made it past the overflow into the first chamber of the sump. Junior was growing nicely, but he was lost when he was swept into my filter sock. I removed the socks and the current babies, plus one still in the first chamber, are growing on their own. I am not adding any food. I suspect the refugium is providing micro fauna as food. I do keep some chaetomorpha along the weir into the next chamber to keep the babies from being swept into the skimmer or return pump

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back