Frag Tank Light Cycle

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read mixed reviews between having lights on for longer peiods of time and shorter and more frequent periods of time.

To achieve faster growth, would you suggest having the lights on for a long period of time or short periods that occur multiple times a day?

Example of long period: off 14 hours on 10 hours
Example of multiple short periods: off 4 hours on 4 hours off 4 hours on 4 hours off 4 hours on 4 hours

I just want to get opinions from more than one source. Thank you in advance.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Chaeto and Macro algaes grow fast no mater how you do it. Easier to just have it on when you tank lights are off...helps to keep PH swings down.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly Chaeto and Macro algaes grow fast no mater how you do it. Easier to just have it on when you tank lights are off...helps to keep PH swings down.

This is for lighting a frag tank not a fuge.

I always run my fuge on a reverse cycle with an overlap of 1 hour before and after lights go off and on in the displat tank.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for lighting a frag tank not a fuge.

I always run my fuge on a reverse cycle with an overlap of 1 hour before and after lights go off and on in the displat tank.

Sorry still working on my coffee...been a rough morning. The on off cycle sounds good...i have read lots of people doing that with success! Then again lighting is only half the battle - constant parameters are another ball game!

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry still working on my coffee...been a rough morning. The on off cycle sounds good...i have read lots of people doing that with success! Then again lighting is only half the battle - constant parameters are another ball game!

Yup, fortunately, in a frag tank I feel that it is easier to keep params in check easier than a reef since there are no fish and less bioload.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back